Northampton ride to London Saturday 24th March

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Good to (briefly) meet you all - I hope your onward progress was smooth. I rolled in home at about 4:30 after taking the short route back via the back of Champneys and Chesham.

ianmac62

Guru
Good to meet you all too. I can see it will be a very happy bunch of cyclists who pedal from London to John O'Groats. I think it's going to be a pleasure to be your van-man.

Cobblers ground out a point in a goalless draw when I returned to Northampton. Edging towards safety. I kept an eye, on StuAff's behalf, on Portsmouth but they lost up the road at Coventry.

I'm sure I'll meet many of you again on the Felpham ride; and I plan to do the Manchester-to-Morecambe ride too.

Thanks to FD for planning the ride and sorting the weather!

Cheers,

Ian

PippaG

Veteran
I'm home and certainly less sticky and sweaty than I was earlier today. What a great ride. Well, certainly the bit I did until lunch anyway. When we were on the move, it felt at times like we were flying along. It felt flat but I suspect there were a few very shallow inclines and descents that helped. Or did we have a tail wind? When I left you all, within 30 mins I was in Aylesbury.

Anyway, what a great return to cycling for me. It's been a while since I've been out on the bike, and to do it in such perfect conditions with others I haven't seen for ages made it all the better. I remembered today why I love cycling. Thanks for that all of you. And thanks to Adam for organizing. I've not cycled up there before really, but well worth another visit.

60 miles clocked for me.

I got home just after 3pm after clocking in a 51 mile loop from home.
Very enjoyable ride, the bit I did, in fantastic weather, the top of my head is a bit sunburnt ........ :laugh:
I'll probably see some of you on the Felpham ride, but I won't have the trailer behind the trike.

saoirse50

Veteran
Thanks again to Adam. Really enjoyed the day. Loved the contrast between quiet rolling country lanes with larks soaring above during the daylight hours, and traffic jamming through the Saturday night city traffic. For me, both styles of cycling are terrific fun.
I took a tour of Covent Garden on the way home, in an attempt to make this a 100 miler for me, having already done a few extra miles going to Liverpool St instead of Euston first this morning. (operating on early morning remote control). Covent Garden was crazy. Cars everywhere, all desperately trying to find places to park. One woman was so eager to bag the little space at the kerbside she had spotted, she failed to see the little cyclist proceeding along the road at that point. She reversed into me. And, amazingly, despite the fact that my wheel was somehow wedged into her rear bumper, trapping me there, and I was screaming and waving, she carried on, very slowly (thankfully) trying to get into the parking space. Only when I began whacking the back of the car as well, as hard as I could, did she stop. Amazingly, the front wheel seemed fine, but just in case, I got her details. She offered me a tenner, " in case I needed a new wheel". Mmmm. Might buy a few spokes I said and told her I would be in touch if necessary.
I'm fine, bike fine, quite an interesting end to a terrific day.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
94 miles in total for me.

What a cracking day with some lovely people. I think there were 15 of us rolling out of Northampton Station, at just after 10.30, so we certainly added to Northampton's congestion problem. We took Tigerbiten's Tesco diversion, so after about 20 minutes we were out in the countryside. The great thing about this part of England is that it's a never ending rolling landscape. It's not excessively hilly but you get some great scenery. Or rather we would have, if it hadn't been so hazy. So even though the sun was up, in a blue sky, it wasn't too hot.

Being such a large group, I hadn't made enough allowance for stoppage time, and as Mice suffered an unintended deflation event about a mile before Wing, we were later than I'd expected, but as I said, it's not a race, and the food at the pub was certainly worth it. I'd managed to engineer a nice little downhill once we'd set off again at 2.50, and then it was just more little ups and downs. We gained a few people, whilst others left. Berkhamsted was solid with traffic, but that's to be expected. There are some lovely little lanes either side of the main road there, but they are very undulating, and for this first ride I didn't want to make it too severe. After wiggling around the M25, once we joined the A5 (technically the A5183 at that point), in view of the time, I decided to alter the route and simply head straight down the A5. Although there's more traffic, generally the road is fairly wide.

Of course, once you get to Edgware, there are large chunks of bus lane so we were often zipping past queueing cars. We were very lucky with Staples Corner, as there was a big gap in the traffic, so we could zoom across the flyover. Further on, I was half expecting to run into 'Teef along there as several times our paths have crossed in the Maida Vale area, but I expect he had some puns to work on.

I left the remaining stalwarts at Marble Arch at 7.30 pm after 74.8 miles, and zoomed back towards St Pancras, and caught a fast train home. Hopefully, everyone else got back OK and you're not suffering. After removing my gloves, I've got Michael Jackson hands, as they're very white in comparison to my arms.

Thanks everyone for a great day, and especially TC for hanging around at the back as TEC & Tim for his fettling skills.

I'll post my photos tomorrow once I've sorted out the camera.

Thanks again to Adam. Really enjoyed the day. Loved the contrast between quiet rolling country lanes with larks soaring above during the daylight hours, and traffic jamming through the Saturday night city traffic. For me, both styles of cycling are terrific fun.
I took a tour of Covent Garden on the way home, in an attempt to make this a 100 miler for me, having already done a few extra miles going to Liverpool St instead of Euston first this morning. (operating on early morning remote control). Covent Garden was crazy. Cars everywhere, all desperately trying to find places to park. One woman was so eager to bag the little space at the kerbside she had spotted, she failed to see the little cyclist proceeding along the road at that point. She reversed into me. And, amazingly, despite the fact that my wheel was somehow wedged into her rear bumper, trapping me there, and I was screaming and waving, she carried on, very slowly (thankfully) trying to get into the parking space. Only when I began whacking the back of the car as well, as hard as I could, did she stop. Amazingly, the front wheel seemed fine, but just in case, I got her details. She offered me a tenner, " in case I needed a new wheel". Mmmm. Might buy a few spokes I said and told her I would be in touch if necessary.
I'm fine, bike fine, quite an interesting end to a terrific day.

:eek: That's horrendous. Am glad you are ok, obviously, but what a fright and indeed shock that must have been.

M

Thank goodness for LonJoG as without it today's Training Ride might not have happened. It was a really lovely day.

Arriving at Northampton Station our numbers increased until we were about 16. We headed out to misty vistas through really pretty countryside - lovely lanes sweeping up and swooping down hills but nothing really horridly Ditchling-like. The company was fab and in true LonJoG replication it was a bit of a moving party with people joining and leaving at different points in the ride.

As we headed towards The Queens Head in Wing the sun shone through and summer was truly here. If you are near Wing that pub is absolutely worth a visit as their food was delicious.Unfortunately for me I had a few incidents with my bicycle. As it turned out, thanks to marvellous assistance from TimH and Kim it seems the issue with gear changing was caused by me. The positive side of this is that once diagnosed it was easily rectified, the negative is a feeling of somewhat incompetence on my part - having a bar bag that was resting on the gear adjuster. I also got a p!"£24131 and Wanda very kindly stopped to help as I turned my bike upside down whereupon Topcat1 appeared. I did manage to remove the tyre and the tube at which point Topcat1 kindly fitted the replacement. Big, big thanks to you all for keeping me on the ride. I was ready to bale but your kindness, enthusiasm and sterling help kept me on my bike and on the road.

Thank you for all your company, it was really good to see you all and - Flying Dodo - that was awesome. A really lovely route, perfect lunch and a great day on a bike. I have no idea how many miles it was but I am genuinely grinning from ear to ear. I took some pics (the ones towards the end have some special effect gizmo caused by the shutter not opening properly! https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...authkey=Gv1sRgCKvNuvH3nq6dhQE&feat=directlink

M:hello:

Attachments

• Ready at the Station.jpg
    Ready at the Station.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Cyclechatting.jpg
    Cyclechatting.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Kim Rebecca John and FD.jpg
    Kim Rebecca John and FD.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 38

jayonabike