NorthernRock Cyclone Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Harrison

Ash68 Thanks for putting on information about the event. As you so rightly say the 2008 event is now open for entries. Just go to the site and you can register online. You don't have to do the 100ml ride as there is something there for everyone.

This was a good ride last year, Well organised(well done Peter), thoroughly enjoyed it.

100 miler was fine although the Ryals (the steep bits) at about 88 miles were tough, I recall screaming at that point and was caught in the act by the photographer :biggrin:

Peter ,I take it that there will be no effect on the ride should any change to the ownersahip of N R takes place?

Peter Harrison

Rab said:
This was a good ride last year, Well organised(well done Peter), thoroughly enjoyed it.

100 miler was fine although the Ryals (the steep bits) at about 88 miles were tough, I recall screaming at that point and was caught in the act by the photographer :biggrin:

Peter ,I take it that there will be no effect on the ride should any change to the ownersahip of N R takes place?

Never fear the whole event will go ahead no matter what happens to NR but I have no reason to believe they will not continue as headline sponsor. The event is now part of the Culture 10 programme for next year and this is backed by the Regional Development Agency, One North East. as you will also see from the website I have got a number of important co sponsors and Partners for 2008. I won't let anyone down and just want to make sure it is the best event in the UK next year:smile::biggrin:

neslon

I'm doing the 100 this year.If you aren't familiar with the Northumberland countryside, the 62 is a lovely ride. The biggun sounds even better, with some moors & more hills. Can't wait.

Peter Harrison said:
Never fear the whole event will go ahead no matter what happens to NR but I have no reason to believe they will not continue as headline sponsor. The event is now part of the Culture 10 programme for next year and this is backed by the Regional Development Agency, One North East. as you will also see from the website I have got a number of important co sponsors and Partners for 2008. I won't let anyone down and just want to make sure it is the best event in the UK next year:smile::biggrin:

Thought that would be the case, I'll be joining up for this event again. Keep up the good work

striker

I'm in as well 62 miler. first ever Sportive!! should be fun. Wanted to do the 100 but seemed to remember the site said you could only do that if you had previous!

OP
OP
A

ash68

striker said:
I'm in as well 62 miler. first ever Sportive!! should be fun. Wanted to do the 100 but seemed to remember the site said you could only do that if you had previous!

nothing in the rules stopping you doing 100 mile event striker. Website just suggests that it is a tough course and you should have some experience of cycling that sort of distance beforehand. Really it just points out that it's no good a complete novice trying to do the ride with no training before hand. Common sense really I suppose.

striker

ash68 said:
nothing in the rules stopping you doing 100 mile event striker. Website just suggests that it is a tough course and you should have some experience of cycling that sort of distance beforehand. Really it just points out that it's no good a complete novice trying to do the ride with no training before hand. Common sense really I suppose.

"All rides use safe and quiet roads and visit numerous villages along their way. Finishers in all events will be given a finishing time as well as intermediate split times. This will be used in rides A & B to determine whether they can enter the longer distance rides in future year." - NR Cyclone website

This seems to suggest that there is something stopping you.
For myself, I regularly ride 40-50 miles over reasonably hilly routes, so wanted something to target as a challenge.
I'm more than happy to do the 62 mile route this year just to experience it but somehow will feel I could have gone further.

Peter Harrison

striker said:
striker - did't say you could not do it - just recommended you do the 62 miler first. The 100 is quite tough! However on the day if you fancy doing the 100 you can do so and your time will be recored for the 100mile ride. This applies to all the rides and you can step up or down in distance on the day. As long as you log in at all the timing stations this will tell us which ride you did on the day.
Naturally I hope not too many people do switch as this would prove a bit of a logistical nightmare for me and those manning the feed stations as they will be stocked for the number of riders I expect to come through them.
Pass the word around and try and get your mates to ride on behalf of a charity. I want to make this event as prestigious as the Great North Run to promote the region!:smile:
Peter
Organiser

striker

Peter Harrison said:
striker - did't say you could not do it - just recommended you do the 62 miler first. The 100 is quite tough! However on the day if you fancy doing the 100 you can do so and your time will be recored for the 100mile ride. This applies to all the rides and you can step up or down in distance on the day. As long as you log in at all the timing stations this will tell us which ride you did on the day.
Naturally I hope not too many people do switch as this would prove a bit of a logistical nightmare for me and those manning the feed stations as they will be stocked for the number of riders I expect to come through them.
Pass the word around and try and get your mates to ride on behalf of a charity. I want to make this event as prestigious as the Great North Run to promote the region!:smile:
Peter
Organiser

Thanks, I'm sure I will have a great day, I am trying to persuade a couple of others to join me, but its quitea trek up from down south.

BTW, are there going to be gold, silver and bronze times? If so, do you know what they will be?

Peter Harrison

ash68 said:
As ash68 the 100ml is a tough course and if you have not done 100mls with continuous climbs and descents you will be better doing the 62ml ride and enjoy it. You can then see if you will be capable for the 100ml ride in 2009.
However the event is so devised that if you decide to do the 100ml on the day you can do so. The electronic timing chip you will wear will record which ride you did as long as you log in at each feed/timing station. I am not encouraging everyone to switch between rides as this would play havoc with the logistics for the day i.e. right amount of food and water at each station, but if you feel strong enough you could do it.
However PLEASE do not make me have to come out and look for you lying in some ditch at the bottom of the Ryals at 7pm on the day! It's a day to be enjoyed so just goout and do it! A sensible time for first timers for the 62ml ride is about 5hrs including cafe stops but could be longer if you stop at the pub on the way!:smile:;)
Peter
Organiser

Peter Harrison

striker said:
Thanks, I'm sure I will have a great day, I am trying to persuade a couple of others to join me, but its quitea trek up from down south.

BTW, are there going to be gold, silver and bronze times? If so, do you know what they will be?
striker - there may be gold, silver and bronze awards for the 100ml ride next year. I haven't quite made up my mind yet. It will partly depend on the number entering the 100ml. If there are awards they will be as follows:
Gold; under 5hrs 45 mins (fastest this year was 5hrs 15 mins approx)
Silver: 5hrs 45mins - 6hrs 30mins
Bronze: over 6hrs 30 mins

These awards will only be for the 100ml ride as I would not want innexperienced riders "racing".
If I decide to award these standards for the 100ml they will go on the website in January - keep your eyes open! I will also send out an e mail to all riders doing the 100ml ride (well those that have e mails and read them!):smile:

Top Bottom