Northumberland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Senior Management & myself are heading up there, shortly for a week away
We're stopping a mile or so, as the Seagull flies, from Bamburgh Castle, in a (seemingly) very quiet/sheltered spot

It's about 15 years since we were last up there, when we were on a caravan site at East Ord (Berwick-upon-Tweed), when I had my Land-Rover 90CSW-V8 & a Swift twin-axle BSWOW

I'm trying to put a hi-list together of where to go/what to do
- Alnwick will be visited, as I have memories of; https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/
- Lindisfarne (tide-times dependant)
- Berwick-upon-Tweed
- Craster
- Seahouses (a friend of ours is now the Parish Priest near there, having been the Dean at Wakefield Cathedral)
- Wooler
- possibly Kirk Yetholm (due to its Pennine Way connections)

I hope to get to Rothbury, for Cragside this time, mainly for the Armstrong connection (Bamburgh Castle has - had?- a museum)

Any other suggestions?
SWMBO's not walking far at the moment, due to Plantar Fasciitis, so (sadly) no hikes/route-marches

EDIT @ 20:45
I have been warned, already about it turning into a tour of old roads/bridge/mile-posts, etc......
As one of my interests, (& I will be on the look out for features) is the 'Great North Road', in its pre 60s' guise, when it passed through a lot of towns & villages

I've already been photocopying pages of one of my books....:angel:
(the 'Then & Now')
View attachment 488206

I'll make the deal with her, that I'll only look at certain sections, that I can't normally get to, on my days-off
(ie; above the North Yorkshire border)

Lindisfarne is an utter waste of time. The abbey ruins display is poor and the castle is still being renovated. Went there in August this year and was totally disappointed.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Warkworth looked very nice on BBC4 earlier this evening - Pubs, Ponds and Power: the story of the village.
I've driven through there several times, but never stopped.

Lindisfarne is an utter waste of time. The abbey ruins display is poor and the castle is still being renovated. Went there in August this year and was totally disappointed.
Got to disagree with you there spokey - I really like it, have fond memories of staying in a B&B there many many years ago - it's quieter after the crowds have left.

I do though have none too great memories of a snotty National Trust woman in the castle - desperate for a pee I asked if there was a toilet I could use. She spoke to me like I was some sort of ignorant prole and in her best plummy patronising voice said "we ARE in a MEDIEVAL castle". Rot, it was heavily restored/recreated by a publishing magnate - where did he and his guests go? And did the national trust folk use the NT crockery from the shop, wiping themselves on the Laura Ashley napkins?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
When you go to Alnwick there's a great exhibition in the Bailiffgate Museum at the moment - free-form weaving by Eta Ingham Lawrie. Might not be your thing but...

And the Strawberry Lounge cafe does amazing scones!

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Senior Management & myself are heading up there, shortly for a week away
We're stopping a mile or so, as the Seagull flies, from Bamburgh Castle, in a (seemingly) very quiet/sheltered spot

It's about 15 years since we were last up there, when we were on a caravan site at East Ord (Berwick-upon-Tweed), when I had my Land-Rover 90CSW-V8 & a Swift twin-axle BSWOW

I'm trying to put a hi-list together of where to go/what to do
- Alnwick will be visited, as I have memories of; https://www.barterbooks.co.uk/
- Lindisfarne (tide-times dependant)
- Berwick-upon-Tweed
- Craster
- Seahouses (a friend of ours is now the Parish Priest near there, having been the Dean at Wakefield Cathedral)
- Wooler
- possibly Kirk Yetholm (due to its Pennine Way connections)

I hope to get to Rothbury, for Cragside this time, mainly for the Armstrong connection (Bamburgh Castle has - had?- a museum)

Any other suggestions?
SWMBO's not walking far at the moment, due to Plantar Fasciitis, so (sadly) no hikes/route-marches

EDIT @ 20:45
I have been warned, already about it turning into a tour of old roads/bridge/mile-posts, etc......
As one of my interests, (& I will be on the look out for features) is the 'Great North Road', in its pre 60s' guise, when it passed through a lot of towns & villages

I've already been photocopying pages of one of my books....:angel:
(the 'Then & Now')
View attachment 488206

I'll make the deal with her, that I'll only look at certain sections, that I can't normally get to, on my days-off
(ie; above the North Yorkshire border)

I think your list has it nailed,

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Britain by Bicycle with Larry and George Lamb on 5 (now - also on catch up, no doubt) is in Northumberland tonight.
It's the very lightest of travelogues with not a great deal of cycling, but might be worth a look.
Anyone familiar with Craster will note that the aerial shot of them "cycling into the village" showed them appearing along a dead end that only leads to a gate across the coastal path...

Top Bottom