Northwich...what's it like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
I am moving to Northwich for work, straight out of uni - what is the surrounding area like for cycling?

On a related note - anybody got a place to rent for a keen cyclist?

20 miles east you've the peak district, 20 miles west you've got the clwydians, both have lots of classic climbs. Around Northwich its generally flat, but there are some shorter climbs which will get your heart going (along the sandstone trail and others). No space at chez moi and garage is full of bikes, sorry.

djb1971

Legendary Member
As mentioned, the Peaks. Some of the best riding in England on and off road.

Not too far a drive for mtb trail centres or Delamere as local mtb ride.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Northwich in Cheshire?
If so some cracking riding in the area. Flat and fast across the plain or as said the Pennines are in easy reach with anything from long draggy climbs like the Cat and Fiddle and Long Hill to nasty buggers like Winnats, Mow Cop and Pyms Chair.
There is also a very active racing, hill climbing and TTing scene with various courses across Cheshire. One or two attract the pros and you will see many U23 GB riders and domestic pro team riders around even the odd Sky team rider.
Imho a good cycling area. :thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Every year they have a Civil War battle re-enactment. It's a big thing in Northwich. Pretty town. Just down the road there is Snugberry's Ice Cream place. Certainly cycleable. Look for the big straw bales ^_^

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Is it still a Dalek?

That was the best yet!
Not sure, I moved from Staffordshire nearly 4 years ago now. I miss the Snugberry's trips. That Raspberry Pavlova ice-cream was awesome. The Christmas Pud ice-cream was gorgeous.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Northwich in Cheshire?
If so some cracking riding in the area. Flat and fast across the plain or as said the Pennines are in easy reach with anything from long draggy climbs like the Cat and Fiddle and Long Hill to nasty buggers like Winnats, Mow Cop and Pyms Chair.
There is also a very active racing, hill climbing and TTing scene with various courses across Cheshire. One or two attract the pros and you will see many U23 GB riders and domestic pro team riders around even the odd Sky team rider.
Imho a good cycling area. :thumbsup:

I've done the Cheshire Cat which is my only real familiarity of the area. Do you happen to know where the nearest weekly crits would be?

Hacienda71

Crits tend to be over at Tameside Crit circuit which is just to the East of Manchester. The closest racing is probably the Weaver Valley Cc organised road races near Northwich there is also a road circuit at Lower Withington near Goostrey/Holmes Chapel which is only a few miles from Northwich. There is also racing at Oulton Park the motor racing circuit. CDNW runs a summer season, they tend to be on courses North of Manchester though.

Hacienda71

Oh and if you want to try something totally different, there is a very active track cycling league over at the velodrome. There are one or two people on here who ride the boards.

400bhp

Guru
There's the odd road race around Great Budworth too.

Northwich is a very good base for cycling. You have what's described above on the road, but you also have a very good canal and off road network too. And Delamere Forest is just down the road.

Might be worth putting a wanted ad up in the for sale forum for a place to rent in or around Northwich.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I know the CDNW races well having studied at Lancaster! No car makes them a tad tough to get to.

Cheers 400bhp, I might just do that!

Every year they have a Civil War battle re-enactment. It's a big thing in Northwich. Pretty town. Just down the road there is Snugberry's Ice Cream place. Certainly cycleable. Look for the big straw bales ^_^

So how do you know about Holly Holy Day? We've taken the kids each year for a good few years now and always support the Royalists (who'd want to support the side that banned Christmas). Achieved immortality last year by making it into Cheshire Life
http://www.cheshirelife.co.uk/peopl...y_1_1956962?id=6&storyId=1.1957190.1361917121
I need to get out more ...

Top Bottom