Norway Logistics and Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Just a thought for now, but we're starting to contemplate adventures for 2023.

Is a tour in Norway with the tandem (so flying impossible) practical and a good idea?

There's a ferry from Eemshaven in Holland to Kristiansand at the southern tip of Norway, so the plan at a glance becomes:

1. Drive to Eemshaven, park car, take tandem as foot passengers to Kristiansand
2. Do a circuit to Stavanger, through the centre and return on the coast (Eurovelo 1) - see attached from cycle.travel ~650km

Ideally, I'd like to go further north into the Fjords, but I think logistics and distances prevent this; we'd have about 2 weeks actually in Norway. A ferry looks possible Stavanger to Bergen, but by the time you've got to Stavanger already, time is likely too long to make it worthwhile I think.

We'd stay in B&Bs or similar if possible but I suspect a camping option may be essential? Don't want to have to book up the whole thing in advance.

All advice and suggestions much appreciated.

Attachments

• norway.jpg
    norway.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I rode EV1 route from Oslo to Bergen.
Generally enough camping when you need it but a couple of wild camps needed. Not all the romantic mountainside type but a few stealth ones in holiday home resorts or small roadside woods. A few in really pretty locations. Stavanger campsite is in the city park.
Everything is very expensive except for smoked mackeral. Supermarkets sell hot food. Thursday is free sample day.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I rode EV1 route from Oslo to Bergen.
Generally enough camping when you need it but a couple of wild camps needed. Not all the romantic mountainside type but a few stealth ones in holiday home resorts or small roadside woods. A few in really pretty locations. Stavanger campsite is in the city park.
Everything is very expensive except for smoked mackeral. Supermarkets sell hot food. Thursday is free sample day.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Any views on the "not camping" option ie is there enough accommodation unless you camp? Would prefer not to trundle a tent around if poss.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Any views on the "not camping" option ie is there enough accommodation unless you camp? Would prefer not to trundle a tent around if poss.

Many , if not most, official campsites have cabins ( hytte ) Norwegians are really into cabins like we are with caravans. I was a given a free upgrade twice due to extreme weather. May need to book in advance in high season.

https://campio.no/

Last edited:

albal

Guru
There is a Freight only ferry . From UK to Norway. Maybe worth asking?? Run by dfds. Immingham - Brevik. I,ve been on it a lot with work, about 27 hrs.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not cycling, but my experience of Norway is that it is expensive, beautiful, steep ... and did I mention that it's very, very expensive.

Saw a lot of cyclists with heavily laden, super-low geared bikes twiddling up impossible inclines. Looks like a fantastic place to cycle if you have the legs. It's a very beautiful place. (But expensive)

Top Bottom