Norwich cycle paramedic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafflycat

wafflycat

hulver said:
Possibly. Just going off my own experience though, I don't remember ever seeing a fire engine in the city center. Plenty of Paramedics and Police. Once you get outside the city center the bike advantage disappears.

Many years ago, when working in Newcastle city centre, in an office on what was effectively the same road as the main fire station, it was a regular thing... three in the afternoon (mostly Friday afternoons), the fire engine sirens going - engine flashing, sirens wailing - going past the front of the office back to the fire station. The running joke in the office was that 'the men' couldn't wait to get back to the station to clock off early again. You could almost set your watch by them it was so regular an occurrance!

IJCymru

I am currently applying to do paramedic science at university and this is something which I really want to do once trained. Its the best of two worlds, the job and my hobby. I think I will have to gain a few years experience on the ambulances before moving on to the bikes.

Arch

Married to Night Train
IJCymru said:
I am currently applying to do paramedic science at university and this is something which I really want to do once trained. Its the best of two worlds, the job and my hobby. I think I will have to gain a few years experience on the ambulances before moving on to the bikes.

Cool, best of luck to you! A really worthwhile job, too.

mascott

IJCymru said:
hi...i am a member of the Team based in the City and one of the trainers for new members of the team....yes you will need to fully qualify first and then you will need another 2 years or so experience. dont be put off ....it comes round quick. And yes it is worthwile and amazingly rewarding. good luck with your degree.....

for those that have seen us about in the City (of London)......we are response vehicles....just like the motorbikes and cars. we carry full resus gear and drugs, oxygen and a defibrillator along with all the other gear we need (bandages etc)....yes you will see us plodding around but thats coz we aint got a job....if we need to we are all pretty swift.

thomas

the tank engine
wafflycat said:
One of the cycling paramedics that can be seen round Norwich city centre these days. This lady has been doing it for about five years. What a great job to have!

Might be a great job, but I swear she's always pushing the bike around when I've seen her in town - window shopping maybe ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
mascott said:
hi...i am a member of the Team based in the City and one of the trainers for new members of the team....

Great to hear from you mascott! I'm a big fan of the whole idea.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
There are bike-borne paramedics inside Heathrow.

Arch

Married to Night Train
dellzeqq said:
There are bike-borne paramedics inside Heathrow.

Yeah, I think I saw them on telly....

My point was that, although I'm not sure of the exemptions for bike emergency staff in terms of ped areas, it makes as much sense in one for the paramedic to be pushing the bike as riding it, if they are simply on the 'waiting for a shout' phase.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:
Yeah, I think I saw them on telly....

My point was that, although I'm not sure of the exemptions for bike emergency staff in terms of ped areas, it makes as much sense in one for the paramedic to be pushing the bike as riding it, if they are simply on the 'waiting for a shout' phase.

I find it Far easier to ride my bike when heavily laden than trying to push it... somehow its far easier to balance it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
I find it Far easier to ride my bike when heavily laden than trying to push it... somehow its far easier to balance it.

True - but trying to ride a heavy bike slowly in a crowded predestrian area would be pretty tricky too...

mascott

yeah we have full exemption to ride on the pavements as required but it comes down to common sense. If I am not on a call I will act as all other responsible cyclists regarding one way streets pavements and lights. in fact its pretty rare that i ride for any great distance on the pavement on a call.
we are aware as a team that we are reasonably high profile cyclists and we do take that seriously. The last thing we want to be doing is annoying and scaring pedestians or other road users.
overall we get very positive feedback....feel free to come and have a chat if you see us around.....St Pauls is a good spot to find us or near Liverpool St Station.... (only in the good weather....otherwise we are hiding:becool:)

Top Bottom