not Breaking News

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After a few weeks' uncertainty and hurdles to leap, I was finally able to leave Goa, India and get back home.

After flights were cancelled and airlines went bust, it was looking bleak, especially as a three-week curfew was enforced. We (my best mate and I) were lucky where we were: very close to a magnificent beach (by this time, they were very few people around, so 'social distancing' wasn't a problem) so we could walk and swim without any problem.

We could buy meals from the only restaurant open in our area (about 100 yards away) so we stocked-up on take-aways and put them in our freezers, in case we were in for a long stay. Our landlords said we could stay as long as necessary: I was thinking that could be another 2-3 months, at least, as the 'predicted' virus peak was (then) 'expected' to be in June.

However, when the state of Goa was closed down more or less completely, the situation changed. Fear and panic-buying broke out in all the bigger towns not too far away from us. Increasing numbers of locals, more Hindus than the catholic Goans, were becoming more resentful at our presence. Police were brutally beating people who needed to get supplies for their babies, several dying from their injuries.

Other Brits in central and northern Goa suffered a lot more than we did. Reports of elderly people without food or medicine in more remote areas had to make do with drinking (dodgy) water from the taps for 2-3 days.

My mate is Finnish and heard very early Tuesday morning that the Finnish government and Finn Air were sending a flight for stranded Finns and Scandinavians, plus those who were permanent residents (like me) in those countries. Germans, Italians and French had also been evacuated but hundreds, if not thousands of Brits remained, the 'government' (:laugh::laugh:) doing next to nothing to send help.

We flew to Helsinki, where I had a few nervous hours finding out if I could continue my journey as I had no onward ticket (because I had no idea of the situation in either Sweden or Denmark, where I would be flying too, as there were no direct flights to Oslo. But my misses (:wub:) managed to book two flight for me back to Oslo, so all was well.

She collected me at the airport and drove through a deserted landscape and home. I'm now in a two-week quarantine, and will return straight to work, assuming I'm free of the virus. I was/am VERY lucky and grateful to get back home. My British friends are not so lucky: they 'may' have a flight on Tuesday, or maybe not: the government being extremely lackadaisical to the situation.

And just to mention the local population. Dozens of friends, many of whom I've known for 10 years, have very uncertain futures, if, of course, they survived their journeys home. ALL trains and buses travelling interstate were cancelled, leaving millions of migrant workers throughout India, no other option than to WALK home. :eek: In some cases that could be a thousand-plus kilometres. If they stayed where they were, they would probably have been lynched by frightened indigenous (to that state) people or police thinking that the Coronavirus is best cured by beating young and old, male and female, sick, weak and vulnerable with their thick bamboo stick truncheons.

Of course, the entire planet is massively affected by this virus, but before almost anything else, health and safety HAS to be the absolute priority of ALL goverments in looking after ALL their citizens.

Once this is over and it's safe to travel (although I don't think it'll be anytime soon) I will be returning to Goa to help support my friends in any way possible, whilst still having something resembling a 'holiday'!

🙏🙏🙏

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Well that turned out to be a bit of an adventure with a good outcome eventually for you. Take it easy and hope you are clear of virus. :thumbsup:

Don't know what Boris's lot are doing for citizens. Sounds like not a lot :sad:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
🤗

I am so glad to hear that you are back at home. I was thinking about you at lunchtime today, and was trying to convince myself that "no news is good news". My over-active imagination suspected you had decided to ditch the phone, and set out on foot to return home. :unsure:

More 🤗 🤗 and look after yourself.

Globalti

Legendary Member
About a month ago I woke up very early in Lagos with a headache, turned on my phone and saw that an Italian had been detained at the airport and taken to some poxy clinic in Yaba, with cement floor and louvre windows and malarial mosquitos everywhere, so bad that he tried to run away. So I emailed my travel agent and was on the KLM flight out of there that night. I don't mind admitting that I panicked.

Mrs M

Guru
After a few weeks' uncertainty and hurdles to leap, I was finally able to leave Goa, India and get back home.

After flights were cancelled and airlines went bust, it was looking bleak, especially as a three-week curfew was enforced. We (my best mate and I) were lucky where we were: very close to a magnificent beach (by this time, they were very few people around, so 'social distancing' wasn't a problem) so we could walk and swim without any problem.

We could buy meals from the only restaurant open in our area (about 100 yards away) so we stocked-up on take-aways and put them in our freezers, in case we were in for a long stay. Our landlords said we could stay as long as necessary: I was thinking that could be another 2-3 months, at least, as the 'predicted' virus peak was (then) 'expected' to be in June.

However, when the state of Goa was closed down more or less completely, the situation changed. Fear and panic-buying broke out in all the bigger towns not too far away from us. Increasing numbers of locals, more Hindus than the catholic Goans, were becoming more resentful at our presence. Police were brutally beating people who needed to get supplies for their babies, several dying from their injuries.

Other Brits in central and northern Goa suffered a lot more than we did. Reports of elderly people without food or medicine in more remote areas had to make do with drinking (dodgy) water from the taps for 2-3 days.

My mate is Finnish and heard very early Tuesday morning that the Finnish government and Finn Air were sending a flight for stranded Finns and Scandinavians, plus those who were permanent residents (like me) in those countries. Germans, Italians and French had also been evacuated but hundreds, if not thousands of Brits remained, the 'government' (:laugh::laugh:) doing next to nothing to send help.

We flew to Helsinki, where I had a few nervous hours finding out if I could continue my journey as I had no onward ticket (because I had no idea of the situation in either Sweden or Denmark, where I would be flying too, as there were no direct flights to Oslo. But my misses (:wub:) managed to book two flight for me back to Oslo, so all was well.

She collected me at the airport and drove through a deserted landscape and home. I'm now in a two-week quarantine, and will return straight to work, assuming I'm free of the virus. I was/am VERY lucky and grateful to get back home. My British friends are not so lucky: they 'may' have a flight on Tuesday, or maybe not: the government being extremely lackadaisical to the situation.

And just to mention the local population. Dozens of friends, many of whom I've known for 10 years, have very uncertain futures, if, of course, they survived their journeys home. ALL trains and buses travelling interstate were cancelled, leaving millions of migrant workers throughout India, no other option than to WALK home. :eek: In some cases that could be a thousand-plus kilometres. If they stayed where they were, they would probably have been lynched by frightened indigenous (to that state) people or police thinking that the Coronavirus is best cured by beating young and old, male and female, sick, weak and vulnerable with their thick bamboo stick truncheons.

Of course, the entire planet is massively affected by this virus, but before almost anything else, health and safety HAS to be the absolute priority of ALL goverments in looking after ALL their citizens.

Once this is over and it's safe to travel (although I don't think it'll be anytime soon) I will be returning to Goa to help support my friends in any way possible, whilst still having something resembling a 'holiday'!

🙏🙏🙏
Best wishes to you and your friends
xx

JohnHughes307

Über Member
It sounds very like what happened when I was in Indonesia when Soharta was overthrown. The Americans, the Dutch, the Italians and, as far as I could see, almost every other country organised flights out. The UK embassy kept saying nothing would happen, had no plans in place, no way of gathering information ( I told them about the road to the airport being open the morning after the major riots, burnings, rapes and murders) and no clue about what was going on. Absolutely bloody useless!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What a disaster. Glad you got home. When you get out of quaratine you will find Sweden is just the same as it was. Just quieter. Its great to live in a place where the government knows what it is doing.

Globalti

Legendary Member
But it must be easier to run a small Scandinavian country where there's a homogeneous population of like-minded people who are generally compliant and respectful of authority.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I used to have an agent in Nigeria who was the Senior CLO or Consular Liaison Officer for Ikeja, which is the area of the city near the airport. He had a computer printout containing the names of all the British passport holders in his area, the idea being that if everything went wrong he would contact them and arrange to get them out. I don't know if British Embassies and HCs still operate the system but it always struck me as a fine bit of window-dressing that wouldn't be much use in a real emergency, especially if flights were stopped or the airport road blocked as you can't travel by steamer any more.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

🙏🙏🙏
Not much change then from our usual Foreign Office performance. You didn't go to Cambridge probably.

JohnHughes307

Über Member
I used to have an agent in Nigeria who was the Senior CLO or Consular Liaison Officer for Ikeja, which is the area of the city near the airport. He had a computer printout containing the names of all the British passport holders in his area, the idea being that if everything went wrong he would contact them and arrange to get them out. I don't know if British Embassies and HCs still operate the system but it always...
Yeah - the Jakarta embassy had names, addresses and telephone numbers of all the British residents but when I asked whether they were organising a cascade style of sharing information (this was a week or so before the revolution, when anyone close to the streets knew something was going to go bang in a big way) they went into full "oh, there is no need for that sort of thing, I'm sure nothing is going to happen" mode. Privileged tw*ts of the first order.

Top Bottom