Not enjoying it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Before my recent cycle theft, I used to use my fixie for the shopping trips, to the mosque and the odd commute when the weather was very wet. Now though, as it is my only bike left I have to use it every day and I am not enjoying it as much as I did. I am even starting to resent the fixie.

What are the chances of swapping it with someone for a geared road bike? It is a 2008 Condor Tempo with carbon forks, & seat posts.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get another bike.....

jack the lad

Have you tried looking for a serviceable old 5 or 10 speeder from a garage clearance, council tip, police sale or local paper? If you drop lucky you could be in business for just £1 a gear, to tide you over.

jack the lad

Never tried this, but it might work.

If you have a box of bits or an LBS with a rummage bin - get an old rear derailleur of the kind that mounts in the dropout and is clamped in by the axle (some cheap new mtbs still use these, only cost a fiver or so), for use as a chain tensioner . Then fit a triple chainset and a front derailleur with a band on downtube shifter. If there's no BB cable guide, you'll need a full length gear outer cable zip tied to the frame. Using a freewheel at the back you've got 3 gears. If you are not fussy, it shouldn't need to cost more than about £20 even with all new bits. Don't blame me if it doesn't work!

If you can fit a multigear freewheel block to the flip-flop hub you could have more gears, but you'd have to bodge some sort of cable stop on the chainstay for the outer cable.

GrahamG

Guru
I'm with Dave - as far as Bike currency goes a Condor is always good if you're selling so just take advantage and replace it. You could easily just do a DIY on an old 5/10 speed if you hanker for one in future.

Try a different gear? Why are you resenting it? To many hills? Tiring? What?

I used a fixed nearly all the time for six months. The novelty wore off but I never grew to resent it. Is something about this bike making you uncomfortable?

Top Bottom