Not had a good day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
My mother is in the final stages of alzheimers. She's spent the last 3 days raving at her beloved husband of 50 years, saying some truly hurtful and nasty things. We know she can't help it, but it doesn't make things any easier to deal with.

Now managed to get her a place in a care home for a couple of weeks respite care, mainly to give dad a break

I have sneaking feeling she'll never go back home though. Although to be honest its not really my mum anymore anyway...

It realy is a nasty zarking disease..

snorri

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear of your mother Kestevan, I can only agree with the last sentence in your post and wish you strength to get through these difficult times.

Steve H

Large Member
Sorry to hear this Kestevan. I have a close relative of my wife who went through these stages of Alzheimers as well. I think what my wife found the most distressing is how difficult it is to grieve properly. It's like the person she knew had died, but she still had a regular reminder seeing the person's face so regularly.

Medical science has advanced in some many areas, but it still has a massive way to go in this space.

Shaun

Founder
Sorry to hear that Kestevan, sounds awfully upsetting.

I hope the respite care gives everyone the breathing space they need; it must be terrible for you to see your parents so distressed.

Amen to the last bit too ... so right!!

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Awful. My dad spent his last 7 years in a nursing home with MS, didn't even know where he was or who anyone was in the end. My grandma had senility (perhaps that's what they used to call alzheimers?) when she died back in '79. I don't remember her because I was too young, but apparently she didn't even recognise her own children - my dad, uncle and aunt.

Horrible thing to go through Kestevan, my thoughts are with you and your father.

I am really sorry to read about this Kestevan. I know what it must be like for you - I've been there! At times you will be racked with guilt - thoughts of 'I'm not doing enough' or 'I want out' which will make you feel bad about yourself. Don't beat yourself up - everyone in this situation has such feelings. I'm sure you're doing all you can.

byegad

Legendary Member
Pisser!

I'd like to specify in a living will that they put me down if I get that bad.

My Sister's M-in-L is suffering the same way and her kids (All three of them.) are besides themselves to find a safe and welcoming place for her.

As an educated and savvy person the thought of losing my reason has a peculiar horror.

Top Bottom