Not happy... Doesn't sound right...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm catching up on the Giro (a race in which bicyclists race around Italy) and something is really beginning to grate with me.

The British chap who may or may not win, do quite well or crash out has been knighted and the BBC insists (quite correctly but somehow absurdly) on referring to him as Sir Bilbo Wiggins or similar.

I find it odd enough that football teams have been managed by knights of the realm, but to have young, whippersnapper athletes bearing this title just seems wrong.

Are any other contributors to these pages keen on bicycles?

Does anyone else find it slightly silly and/or grating that this chap is referred to in this way?

Is there a Grof Jens vov Voigt? No!

400bhp

Guru
Yes

It's bollox really.

I wonder what Johhny Foreigner makes of the Knighthood system? Probably think we're a bunch of pompus ars..oh hang on..:whistle:

festival

Über Member
It may be an antiquated and unnecessary in today's world but why should a sportsman not be recognized unlike an artist, a philosopher or a anyone else who has succeeded in their field?
The nature of sport is that they will be young when they excel and can't be helped.
The sobriquet 'Sir Wiggo' is just a bit of fun, lighten up man, there a lot more important things to be irritated about in this world.

I should have a fecking knighthood.

Sir Noodley of Nobbers, keeper of the Cockwombles.
How many dragons have you killed?

oldroadman

Veteran
I'm catching up on the Giro (a race in which bicyclists race around Italy) and something is really beginning to grate with me.

The British chap who may or may not win, do quite well or crash out has been knighted and the BBC insists (quite correctly but somehow absurdly) on referring to him as Sir Bilbo Wiggins or similar.

I find it odd enough that football teams have been managed by knights of the realm, but to have young, whippersnapper athletes bearing this title just seems wrong.

Are any other contributors to these pages keen on bicycles?

Does anyone else find it slightly silly and/or grating that this chap is referred to in this way?

Is there a Grof Jens vov Voigt? No!

Who cares what anyone else thinks anyway? If the establishment want to make someone a KBE then let them go ahead. Only last night I saw "Lord" Taylor of somewhere being interviewed about being in prison for fiddling his expenses, someone made him a Lord before he got caught, and he still is a Lord. Just take it lightly, titles don't mean a lot. Plenty of people get awards for "political" services, at least Brad has actually achieved something by his efforts, not just wittered on or shouted across the debating chamber like a howling loony. :smile:

Top Bottom