not happy with my gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Your aim with front dérailleur adjustment (especially on a compact chain set) is that when in the big chain ring you can get into your highest (smallest) cassette gear without rubbing, and when in the small chain ring into your lowest (biggest) chain ring without rubbing.

It is very common that you will experience rubbing if trying to be in your biggest cassette gear and large chain ring, and/or your smallest chain ring and smallest cassette gear. The first example will mean you're cross chaining horribly anyway.

There will be an overlap in gears so you're not missing out. You just have to switch chain rings more frequently.

GrasB

Veteran
This is how I setup SRAM front shifters, I assume Shimano will be similar.
Make sure that the front mech is parallel to the chainrings & there's no toe in or out.
Then adjust the high & low limit screws so that the chain just clears the front cage when in large/small & small/large combinations.
Now adjust the cable tension so that it's just holding the cage against the high limit screw.
Slacken the high limit screw 1/4 turn (to allow for the small amount of over shift needed to pull the chain onto the top chainring)
Check you can change from the bottom to the top chainring cleanly, if it doesn't you need to work out if there's not enough cable tension or if the high stop is too low & adjust accordingly.
Once you can cleanly shift into the top chainring check the change onto the bottom chainring, you may well need to relax the end stop 1/4 or 1/2 a turn.

You should now be able to access all the gears on the top chainring & the bottom 7 largest sprockets, assuming a 10sp cassette & compact chainrings (if you're running a double you should be able to get the largest 8). The limitation at this point should be rub on the chainring not the front cage.

HTH

OP
OP
defy-one

defy-one

thanks all for the help - i will fettle this weekend. and if not send the bike to YORK!! hey mickle ?

Top Bottom