Not knee again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Sorry. Yes. I've been perusing the threads on knee pain and possible remedies as well as googling. One thing I came across is an article saying that the use of cleats is of little benefit over clips or free pedals. I'm getting really bad patellar soreness and this article has prompted me to consider equipping the bike with normal grippy pedals to see if this eleviates the symptons. Evidently with old style pedals the foot is free to use its natural position as it moves around the bike and the knee is then not been held in an unatural position. I.e. from flat to downhill to climbing the foot will change position to accommodate the force required. Whilst using cleats even with float there will always be some resistance. Sounds reasonable to me but I am no medic. Anybody here have a comment or has moved back to clips or never used cleats and never had knee problems?

Jim:smile:

billflat12

Veteran
Just started using cleats on the road and have acquired patellar soreness , unsure if this is related to a clipless moment though
red_smile.gif

alp1950

Could take a look at speedplay pedals. Said to be easier on the knees.

(Assuming of course that your knee pain is cycling-related. Worth seeing GP or physio if you haven't already).

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
Soreness has come on since upping mileage to about 150+ a week over the past few months. Different bikes with different cleats, same shoes. Same knees unfortunately. Not much faith in GPs or physios. Mine are not clued up on cycling related injuries.

OP
OP
bigjim

bigjim

Legendary Member
Thanks. I have the saddles on all my bikes set by the book. I'm thinking it is the pedalling too high gears or as I mentioned the pedals themselves. Tried all different saddle bar positions to no avail.

mattsccm

Shape of bike may contribute as well. I had an arthowhatdoyacallit last year which didn't really work. I ride a rather small frame which sticks me farther forward than sya my MTB. no knee issues on this where the MTB which has a very slack angle has me sitting behind the BB. Definately the biggest cause of my knee pain when cycling. Low seat doesn't help either. Funnily enough pushing a 42 16/18 single speed is much less hard on the knees that twiddling on the MTB. A higher gear helps me.

Top Bottom