Not proud of myself

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ACS

Legendary Member
I had a full-scale altercation with 3 males on a vintage towbus this morning.

I was entering Kinross from the south and because of the road layout, vehicles parked on both sides of the road and approaching traffic the driver of the towbus simply did not have the space to overtake me. I held my position just inside the white line trying my very best to stay out of the door zone.

He sat right on my rear wheel and tried his best to intimate me off the road, gunning his engine and half wheeling me. When that did not work he went of a gap that was not there forcing me so close to the pavement my pedal caught the kerb stone as he swung the rear of the vehicle into my path.

When I shouted and indicated that he was too close, two passengers started using non-verbal communication to indicate what they thought of me. The driver then suddenly stopped the towbus in the middle of street and the three of the them came to the platform at the back of the vehicle and expressed some forthright opinions about me, my wife, cycling, cyclists, my parents, masturbation, road tax, insurance, taking up to much room on the road, blah, blah, yawn etc.

Most of which I had heard before and did not deflect from my measured but barbed retorts. As the level of verbiage increased in viciousness and crudity I realized that I was beginning to loose control of my temper (and yes folks I have a nasty one) and therefore the situation I rode around the bus and on into Kinross. As I did so one of the passengers leant over the side and spat at me. Fortunately it missed but I was furious, I lost it. I have never backed down from a confrontation in my life and there I was riding away shaking with anger fueled by adrenaline and my screaming desire the rip off someone’s head.

The driver of the towbus followed me through the town centre and tried to intimidate off the road for a second time.

At the first opportunity I pulled over left and the towbus passed, the passengers still shouting unintelligible abuse at me. As the towbus pulled away into the distance another cyclist came along side asked me what happened. I explained and he agreed that the actions of the driver and his passengers, especially the spitting incident, was totally out of order and said he was going to report it to the Police. He had taken a photo of the towbus on his phone so he had the vehicle registration. He then turned right and jumped off his bike outside the town Police station. I did go with him and he made his report over the telephone (unmanned at weekends) The Police said that ‘they would go and have a word with the driver.’ Thanks!

Got to say thanks to the other cyclist (big fella in red and with ‘515’ on his helmet and his lady companion) for his prompt actions, support and their sensible and calming advice.

Milo

Guru
If somebody spat at me I would have lost it without a doubt. Well done for keeping cool though.

Sandra6

Veteran
I don't think I would've been so calm if somebody spat at me, and I'm really doing very well at not getting agitated lately.
I didn't even shout - much - at the old lady who almost squished me and my 7 year old when she drove her car directly at us because we were walking in the parking space she clearly felt was hers by rights.
Will you find out what comes of the police's having words with the driver?

OP
OP
ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
I don't think I would've been so calm if somebody spat at me, and I'm really doing very well at not getting agitated lately.
I didn't even shout - much - at the old lady who almost squished me and my 7 year old when she drove her car directly at us because we were walking in the parking space she clearly felt was hers by rights.
Will you find out what comes of the police's having words with the driver?

I doubt it as I was not astute enough to ask the big fella his name. Oversight on my part.

Top Bottom