Not So Green Winter Olympics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What the heck.... this is an environmental disaster - why is it being held in Beijing - very little natural snow fall, digging up loads of trees and top soil (OK moved :wacko:) - why not use a pre-existing resort. I'd not seen this report until today !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60067690

Last edited:
What the heck.... this is an environmental disaster - why is it being held in Beijing - very little natural snow fall, digging up laods of trees and top soil (OK moved :wacko:) - why not use a pre-existing resort. I'd not seen this report until today !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/60067690
Money talks and everyone wants to be ‘friends’ with China. 😡

Can any Olympics ever be green ? People flying round the world to compete ?
At least with this one they are reusing some of the venue's from 2008.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
There should maybe just one venue for both Olympics. How many white elephants of stadiums (is that stadia??) litter the planet?. How many Olympic venues do we need?.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There should maybe just one venue for both Olympics. How many white elephants of stadiums (is that stadia??) litter the planet?. How many Olympic venues do we need?.

Athens is a good place ! Might need re-building a bit. :whistle:

What use is London's Olympic Park getting now - anyone using the XC MTB circuit that was built ?

toffee

Guru

What use is London's Olympic Park getting now - anyone using the XC MTB circuit that was built ?
No but I used the velodrome a couple of weeks ago and have been round the outside road circuit there.

captain nemo1701

Indeed, after all they started this thing!.

There have been 15 or do summer games in my life time. That's 15 massive stadiums, 15 Olympic pools and other venues.

Do the locals in each country use these facilities to their max?.

I'm sure that the 2012 games had plans to reuse the arenas and accomodation. I presume it's part of the considerations for bidding.

presta

Guru
15 Olympic pools .... Do the locals in each country use these facilities to their max?.
The Olympic grade pool built in Leeds in the 1970s never got used for competition. The pool was made exactly 50m long, so by the time the touch pads for the timing had been added at each end it was under 50m.......

classic33

Leg End Member
The Olympic grade pool built in Leeds in the 1970s never got used for competition. The pool was made exactly 50m long, so by the time the touch pads for the timing had been added at each end it was under 50m.......
It opened in 1967, and was too narrow not too short, by Olympic standards.

Now long gone.

captain nemo1701

I'm sure that the 2012 games had plans to reuse the arenas and accomodation. I presume it's part of the considerations for bidding.
I've quoted for investigation work at the Olympic park, didn't win it but assume that it's going ahead in some form.

Top Bottom