Not sure if this still counts...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazzyt66

Regular
I moved to Doncaster a couple of years ago and decided for some of the trails, my Boardman Road Sport was not the tool for the job. Just as I was thinking of getting a cheap MTB from eBay my mate reminded me I gave him an old Dunlop Raider Sport before I moved. Today, I collected it from him. The 6 speed grip shift had broken, rear inner tube was leaking, and it generally was in a poor state after being unused for probably close to 7 years. I used to ride this bike to work everyday back around 2011 before I upgraded to a Boardman Pro MTB (I wish I still had that!).

Still, it’s not in bad nick, got full suspension, and apart from the shifter still works ok, so...

I cleaned it, lubed it, replaced the back tube with a 26” Presta (I didn’t have a spare tube with a car valve), fudged the rear gear to sit mid range until my eBay purchased Shimano SLTx-30 arrives (can’t abide the grip shifts on it) and just took it round the block - it’s heavy but goes well! Looking forward to trying it out on the Transpennine Trail when the weather picks up.

I realise I ain’t gonna win any prizes with it, but I may just upgrade it some more - if I can source the right size bits - although a stem adaptor is on my list so I can eventually replace the 22mm bars on it - if only I could get a replacement front sus that didn’t cost more than about 20 Raiders nowadays...

Anyway, not sure if this still counts as a MTB nowadays but I’m happy enough to toddle about on it for a bit of fun!
DAC7E12E-F16D-4EDC-AFA0-A849200BE693.jpeg

Zipp2001

Veteran
It
I moved to Doncaster a couple of years ago and decided for some of the trails, my Boardman Road Sport was not the tool for the job. Just as I was thinking of getting a cheap MTB from eBay my mate reminded me I gave him an old Dunlop Raider Sport before I moved. Today, I collected it from him. The 6 speed grip shift had broken, rear inner tube was leaking, and it generally was in a poor state after being unused for probably close to 7 years. I used to ride this bike to work everyday back around 2011 before I upgraded to a Boardman Pro MTB (I wish I still had that!).

Still, it’s not in bad nick, got full suspension, and apart from the shifter still works ok, so...

I cleaned it, lubed it, replaced the back tube with a 26” Presta (I didn’t have a spare tube with a car valve), fudged the rear gear to sit mid range until my eBay purchased Shimano SLTx-30 arrives (can’t abide the grip shifts on it) and just took it round the block - it’s heavy but goes well! Looking forward to trying it out on the Transpennine Trail when the weather picks up.

I realise I ain’t gonna win any prizes with it, but I may just upgrade it some more - if I can source the right size bits - although a stem adaptor is on my list so I can eventually replace the 22mm bars on it - if only I could get a replacement front sus that didn’t cost more than about 20 Raiders nowadays...

Anyway, not sure if this still counts as a MTB nowadays but I’m happy enough to toddle about on it for a bit of fun! View attachment 470449

It sure looks like it still counts as a MTB to me, now go out and have fun.

Top Bottom