Not sure which hybrid second bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
If you've seen any of my other recent threads, you'll know that I'm lucky enough to have become the owner of a new Trek Madone 3.5 (2012) and have just sold my Ridgeback Flight and Cube Attention mountain bike so I can do a sort of N+1-2+1 sort of thing... :huh:

I only have room in the shed for 2 bikes (yes, I know I could start keeping them in the house but I quite like being married...) and now that I have my proper road bike, I wanted my second bike to be a half-way house between the Flight and Cube – not as fast as the Flight, but not as rugged or boulder-munching as the Cube since I don't do downhill, XC or anything like that.

Essentially, I'm looking for another flat-bar hybrid bike that a) I can use to commute on those days that I'd prefer to leave the Trek snuggled up in the shed/living room/bedroom :whistle:; and b) I can use for 'family' cycling – i.e. cycle paths, light trails round the lochs, Center Parcs, towing the tag-a-long etc..etc... I want 700c tyres (just not the skinny, fast-rolling trail-unfriendly 25c variety that were on the Flight), plus clearance for mudguards and the option of fitting 700x35c Marathon Winters.

Budget is maximum £500 this time, and I'm ready to buy this week, except I just don't know which way to go... :blush: I'm not overly fussed about a suspension fork, or indeed disc brakes, although the former might make things more comfortable when out with the kids, and the latter might be beneficial on a wet, wintry commute. Having said that though, I'm aware that in the price bracket the suspension fork may not actually be worth having as it won't be anything special and will merely add weight, and likewise, the same could well be true of disc brakes?

The Giant Escape and Roam have caught my eye, as have Trek's 7.2FX and Dual-Sport range – thoughts on whether these are any good or not for my intended purposes would be much appreciated, as would direction on other models I've not thought of... Specialized Crosstrail? Cannondale Quick?

vickster

Legendary Member
How about a Boardman hybrid? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_777843_langId_-1_categoryId_165534 (10% off with British Cycling membership)

Crosstrail has suspension and fat tyres (45mm I think) so comfy but heavy on the road. It depends if you want something quick for the non roadie commuter days or something different and go anywhere

The Giant Roams seem popular - if you do get suspension, make sure it can be locked out

Trek 7.2 is a fast hybrid (although less fast than the Specialized Sirrus)

I got an MTB with lock out and disc brakes, was about half price at £450 ish - hard work on the roads though!

I looked at the Quicks, have a few too few spokes for heavy duties. Marin have always good hybrids and I have always been rather keen on Whyte (probably out of budget though)

Usual advice - go to the shops, fondle the bikes, lift them up, straddle and testride :bicycle:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
How about a Boardman hybrid? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_777843_langId_-1_categoryId_165534 (10% off with British Cycling membership)

Crosstrail has suspension and fat tyres (45mm I think) so comfy but heavy on the road. It depends if you want something quick for the non roadie commuter days or something different and go anywhere.........
Thanks Vickster :thumbsup: Yeah, I've seen lots on the side when I was roadie hunting... just not sure which way to go! Crosstrail might feel too much like an MTB when commuting (the same could possibly be true of all the front-sus options). Agree that whilst the Cannondale Quick 4 looks sweet, those wheels........

Actually, that Boardman looks OK you know, plus the current extra £40 off and 10% BC discount would bring it down to only £413... wonder what the clearance is like for fatter 35c Winter tyres and the mudguard situation etc..? (Looks like it's got fixing points for both rack and guards though.)

vickster

Legendary Member
Green, nice, the one in the magazine was black (snore, much rather have green ;) )

In this month's mag, of the front suspension hybrids tested, the Trek Dual Sport 8.3 scored 84% - they also mentioned the 7.2fx disc, saying it'll take chunkier tyres

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Green, nice, the one in the magazine was black (snore, much rather have green ;) )

In this month's mag, of the front suspension hybrids tested, the Trek Dual Sport 8.3 scored 84% - they also mentioned the 7.2fx disc, saying it'll take chunkier tyres
Going to re-read that article tonight... I recall them being impressed with the 8.3, but it's a wee bit over budget.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Just a quick update and thanks to vickster for suggesting I check out the Boardman... I said I was looking for something in between the Flight and Cube, and can't quite believe how the Hybrid Comp fits the bill absolutely perfectly :thumbsup:

After checking the setup (which was predictably poor), fitting the mudguards and changing the tyres, I got out for a run with the kids yesterday, and decided to commute on it today (despite it being perfect Madone weather :whistle:), and I'm very happy with my decision.

Despite having originally planned to stick on Marathon Pluses, I opted for 700x32c Continental Touring Plus tyres instead. They rolled well on tarmac this morning, and were sure-footed on the gravel paths and tracks when I was "off-roading" with the tag-along yesterday, so they definitely get the thumbs up for now – hopefully Conti's yellow rubber under the tread will resist unscheduled deflations equally as well as Schwalbe's blue stuff... only time will tell!

I didn't have any problem fitting the SKS Longboards either, and I reckon there's still plenty clearance if I do fancy fitting spiky Marathon Winters. Whilst weight doesn't come into things really, having stuck the Boardman on the scales this morning at work, I was quite impressed to see the full outfit (lights, guards, tag-along hitch and all) weigh in at only 11kg which is a fair bit less than my old Flight (12.5kg).

Hopefully those Longboards will help it stay looking this clean for a wee while :thumbsup:

boardman1.jpg

Top Bottom