Not used the cam for a while...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
domtyler said:
Come on guys, if you cycle right in at the edge of the road or in cycle lanes, especially going through a junction, you will almost always get this or worse. You were not in a secondary position, let alone primary and then you wondered why someone has ignored your presence on the road. It just makes me think that all the stuff written on here that I know Arch has read and reread has just not sunk in. Bad driving, yes. But also bad cycling in this instance.

Oh dear! I think Arch will be giving her friends a wee phone call.....:wacko:

Dom plunges the knife in......Et tu Domtyler........:wacko:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
I agree with Magnatom, I'd have been outside of the cycle feeder lane. Also, it's difficult to tell from the vid Arch but from just before the bus stop I'd have been looking hard over my shoulder to see who looked like they might be filtering left, identifying them, eye contacting them and making my intentions of going straight on pretty clear. Looks like from your head movements you've glanced back but only as you've reached the filter lane. Have I got that wrong?

I knew exactly how far away he was, because as I turned out from my side road, I could see him coming (a long way off, or I wouldn't have ridden out). I was aware of him behind me, by the noise of his engine. How I would have known what he was going to do, even if I'd looked, I dunno, as he wasn't indicating.

But thank you all, I realise now I'm a stupid incompetant who shouldn't be out on her own.

Domtyler, as far as I'm concerned, I was in secondary and then I moved to use the feeder lane once the road widened to the left, I certainly wasn't in the gutter. If I chose to use the feeder lane, that doesn't make it right for him to cut across me.

I've managed that junction plenty of time without issue, this is the first problem I've had, and even the driver, judging by his expression, knew he'd cocked up. But thanks for the critisism, which despite myself, I'm quite pissed off by.

Like I said, there's a lot you can't tell from the video.

Looking at a drivers face tells you a lot. It tells you where they are looking, how they look, maybe if they've seen you, whether they are looking etc.. Of course it doesn't always help but I would say 90% of the time it does. Looking at the car doesn't tell you the whole story. Of course you can't eyeball every drivers face but you can pick out the key vehicles quite often.

The trouble with examples that you and others are good enough to put up is that they don't tell you all the story but I wince slightly at sentences such as "If I chose to use the feeder lane, that doesn't make it right for him to cut across me." You're right, of course you're right, no argument, no two ways about it but I bet you never just assume it. I bet you often check first to see if it's safe to assume it. It just wasn't clear from this video what information you already knew. In fact, it's never clear from vids because they can't relay what your ears are hearing, what you've already seen and they distort speed, distance and positioning.

Why didn't you quote Dom, he's the one holding the knife you know :smile:

Tynan

Veteran
yes to eye contact but plenty of times people have stared right through/at me and then pulled out/over/across, it's helpful but far from a failsafe

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm sorry. For a minute there I had a monumental low dip and it was all a bit much. God knows why, the hormones aren't due for a week or so.

Perhaps I better go home and stuff myself with chese, that usually cheers me up. Until I get miserable about being fat.

Bugger.

Tynan

Veteran
cheese? I like cheese very much but I've never thought of it as a stuffer or a fatter

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I'm not sure but I think actually, it might have been a Mercedes. Not a Volvo.

**Runs away**

Arch said:
I'm sorry. For a minute there I had a monumental low dip and it was all a bit much. God knows why, the hormones aren't due for a week or so.

Perhaps I better go home and stuff myself with chese, that usually cheers me up. Until I get miserable about being fat.

Bugger.

This wouldn't be a good time to make a funny out of the typo then would it? No don't answer that. Swing by Betty's and get yourself a Rock Cake to eat, that'll do it :smile:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Nasty, a proper case of "me first" behaviour.

I'm afraid its an old E-class Mercedes estate by the looks of it Arch. Still, he was driving badly.

God lord really? I was sure it was a Volvo at the time. Damn.

Perhaps I had better just go home...

Crackle, chese is just the better quality stuff. Less 'e' numbers in it.

Maz

Guru
Uncle Phil said:
I'm not sure but I think actually, it might have been a Mercedes. Not a Volvo.

**Runs away**
He's right y'know. I checked it up here:
MERCEDES E200 ESTATE 1998cc (31/12/1995) PETROL

Top Bottom