Not wearing shoes - does this damage feet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I spend a lot of time at home, as I am not working. I had thought that not wearing shoes in the house would not be harmful to my feet.

I have often seen MBT (Masai Barefoot - not mountain bike) shoes and adverts for them claiming the benefits of strenghthening the muscles in the ankle and the foot. I have now recently read of the damage that can be done to unsupported feet. As MBT shoes are supposed to recreate the effect of walking barefoot on sand and/or soft ground, this seems to be a bit contradictory.

Do any of the knowledgeable people on here have any opinions on this?

I have no intention of spending large amounts on the MBT shoes. When walking/strolling around on pavements, I tend to wear fairly sturdey "trainers" or lightweight boots. TIA.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I think if you're home then spend it shoeless - that's probably just marketing bumph- a lot of shoes are developed for specific functions - and some shoes aren't well designed and can over time affect the natural arch in the foot - if you're walking barefoot at home this shouldn't be a problem- you would only need extra muscle and ankle support if you were doing something that warranted it or if you had particular walking/postural problems.

Mind you my friend who grew up in Germany recommends Birkenstocks as they were orthopaedic rehabilitation sandals worn in the home- these get the arch in the foot back to normal.

Paul_iow

Walking barefoot at home will have no detrimental effect on your feet. The foot is designed to be "free", we aren't born with shoes on. MBT shoes are designed to create an "uneven" surface making your foot unstable in a controlled manner therefore strengthening the muscles in your foot due to constant adjustments. They do work for some people but they are very expensive and in my oppinion more of a marketing gimmick then much else as the only people who really have them are those who sell them!

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Thank you all for your comments so far. They seem to agree with my thoughts. The biggest problem is that on a cold day like today, two pairs of socks are necessary to keep my tootsies warm.

No pictures of early man in my encyclopaedia loafing around in Nike Air Pegasus! :sad:

I'm a barefoot man about the house but my biggest problem in that respect is clumsiness. It hurts when you clout your little toe against a wayward skirting board or tread on an errant peanut! Recently it's been getting chilly round these parts so I slip into some rather fetching thick brown walking socks from time to time. Glad it's not just me!

weevil

I'm an MBT wearer. Their soles are soft and designed to induce instability, so the wearer's legs (and body) have to work a little harder to stabilise them. I find that I never really stand still whilst wearing them. Even when standing on one spot, I'm aware that my feet are continuously making small rocking movements, primarily fore/aft

Once you've spent a few hours getting used to them, they are all-day comfortable.

On the subject of barefoot, there's a lot of info available on running barefoot and in very lightweight shoes. You'll also find lots of articles which mention Vin Lananna, a coach at Stanford who's Nike-sponsored team suffered fewer injuries when they trained shoe-less.

As I understand it, the shock absorbtion which is built in to modern running shoes encourage heel strike. Even with such shock management, heel strike still carries an injury risk. Running barefoot encourages a rolling gait (where the foot isn't extended so far forward) which enables the whole foot to become involved in the shock absorbtion...as nature intended.

Chrisz

Über Member
Ask Zola Budd !!! ;)

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Perfect Virgo said:
No pictures of early man in my encyclopaedia loafing around in Nike Air Pegasus! ;)

I'm a barefoot man about the house but my biggest problem in that respect is clumsiness. It hurts when you clout your little toe against a wayward skirting board or tread on an errant peanut! Recently it's been getting chilly round these parts so I slip into some rather fetching thick brown walking socks from time to time. Glad it's not just me!

I am wearing black socks that match my trousers, with bamboo socks underneath. Very fetching. :biggrin:

From people's comments on here, it looks like I can continue walking around without shoes. I am not tempted to walk down the street without shoes tho'.

Zippy

I'm a barefooter around the house and wear crocs with no sox at work - enjoy the comfort and freedom of the slightly textured insole which stimulates my soles and helps massage away any tiredness.

I go to a Druid camp four times a year and spend a lot of time barefoot around camp and field and find my feet are tough enough not to hurt. Only time I wear shoes then is if I am chopping firewood - health and safety and all that.

Don't think I could stand going barefoot cycling though!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Barefoot here too - although sockies on at the moment as it's a bit on the chilly side but always shoeless. I've always understood that getting some air to the old cheesers was a good thing

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I find if I wear shoes, they need to be fairly supportive. Luckily I do not have the sort of lifestyle that "requires" me to totter around in high heels.

TBM I hope there are no holes in your socks, colour is of secondary importance. :eek:

ASC1951

Guru
Speicher said:
I am not tempted to walk down the street without shoes tho'.
Very sensible. In my first year at University back in the Hippie Sixties I had a friend who stuck it out nearly to Christmas - I think his GP said she wasn't going to pull glass splinters and dog bongo out of his feet any more.

Top Bottom