Not wishing to temp fate...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
...but does anyone know a good resource (somewhere on CTC website perhaps, or a thread on this forum?) for what you should do if you are involved in a Road Traffic Accident? Maybe a checklist of some sort?

'Forewarned is Forearmed' and all that...

Thanks.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not sure, but main thing is check you are OK, report to Police if necessary, seek medical attention, contact your insurers.

Or what most cyclists do, spring off the road, check bike out for damage, then worry about missing body parts !

Fate nearly caught up with me this morning (law of averages etc.) - impatient driver almost wiped me out by not looking before switching lanes. The bugger also tried the pavement mounting to squeeze through the traffic abit further on - stopped when he saw me cycling down the cycle lane on the pavement !

So forewarned is forearmed !!!

ChrisKH

Guru
Two I can add from experience. In the event of car fault related collisions,tell the driver not to move their car from its final resting place (esp. if police involved) and take loads of photos of both car and bike positions if a camera is available.

When you get home write as much as you can down about the incident.

domtyler

Über Member
Stay on the ground and insist that the police are called. Unless the driver does a runner and then you need to get after them and note the reg number.

domtyler said:
Stay on the ground and insist that the police are called. Unless the driver does a runner and then you need to get after them and note the reg number.

Ummm, unless of course you think you may have been hurt. Then it is best to stay on the ground and not go after the reg number....:rolleyes:

as above ,
only move if you can, get photos or drawings of the road and positions of vehicles,width of road may be a good idea as well. names addresses of witnesses, ring police and get a log number.
get bike assessed for damage and also any clothing and get estimates.
whether or not you are injured get to hospital for a check up and note the time/date.this could be important if you find injuries appearing later.
at this time of the year make a note of the position of the sun, they may try and say that they were blinded by the sun.
when you get home write everything down before you forget.
if you're in the ctc contact them and they'll do the rest.

Tynan

Veteran
all good stuff in theory, if you're ok I think it's reflex to jump up and start shouting

and if you;re hurt, to stay down, someone in London at least will call an ambulance then and it all happens on it's own then, the cops should deal with it all

perhaps that's an argument for staying down or at least going back down, that will entail lots of shagging around though

a lot of the time there's going to be no real damage, I've extracted £50 from drivers a few times to pay for a new wheel, a kind of full and final settlement 'or I'll have to call the police'

Tynan said:
all good stuff in theory, if you're ok I think it's reflex to jump up and start shouting

and if you;re hurt, to stay down, someone in London at least will call an ambulance then and it all happens on it's own then, the cops should deal with it all

perhaps that's an argument for staying down or at least going back down, that will entail lots of shagging around though

a lot of the time there's going to be no real damage, I've extracted £50 from drivers a few times to pay for a new wheel, a kind of full and final settlement 'or I'll have to call the police'

Of course when I say hurt, I don't mean a grazed finger. All I wanted to point out is if a serious injury is even suspected, it is the right thing to stay put. You can exacerbate injuries by moving.

Although I do know a story of a chap who broke his neck climbing and had no-one with him. Rather than wait for help he decided to walk to get help. He apparently walked a good number of miles holding his head up with his hands and made it to hospital with no spinal cord damage. This is of course the exception rather than the rule!!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom