England : Nottinghamshire Nottingham 100 - 23rd June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
If anyone is riding this - then I've mapped out the route; a) as I don't trust the marshalls (those of us riding Manc to Blackpool last year will know what I mean and b) I wanted some elevation data.

My map is created on a Garmin 800 and sticks to the roads. The person who created Nottinghams map forgot to check that option. Zipped version of the FIT file is attached.

Attachments

• Nottingham 100_course.zip
    141.5 KB · Views: 41
I won't be there for the first time in a few years due to work, but previous experience says that there are normally two sections that aren't technically 'roads', however they only amount to approx 3 miles total and are road bike friendly.
The signing and marshalling has also been spot on in previous years - enjoy, I'm envious.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Glad to hear it re: the marshalling. Will be my pre-London 100 test ride (yes I know there's not many hills - but I live in Yorkshire - I see those by the dozen!!). A test for me of fluid and food intake over 100 miles distance as this'll be the 1st one I've done with others (i.e. where I have to pace myself and not get sucked into groups that are going faster than I'm capable of).

Will enjoy it, I hope ^_^

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
If anyone is riding this - then I've mapped out the route; a) as I don't trust the marshalls (those of us riding Manc to Blackpool last year will know what I mean and b) I wanted some elevation data.

My map is created on a Garmin 800 and sticks to the roads. The person who created Nottinghams map forgot to check that option. Zipped version of the FIT file is attached.

Need to get to my laptop I think to download this I think. I REALLY hope it's not as windy as it is today!

I've known about this for ages but it appears to have snuck up on me.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member

I'm being really blonde and/or really stupid. I can't work out what to do with this to see it :banghead:

IanG1

I believe there were 1000 places in the 100 mile sportive. I will be starting in the second wave for the 50 as not quite up to that standard yet. Good luck to all taking part, fingers crossed the weather man has it wrong and the conditions are a bit kinder.

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Well, I finished it!!!!! Took a blooming age as it was really, really windy. Hope anybody else who did it had a better experience.
http://app.strava.com/activities/62364854

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
And does anybody know how many riders are taking part? I see it's fully booked.
Re: the FIT file. Unzip and and place it into the "Courses" directory on your Garmin. There were a couple of sizable "detours" on the day. Fortunately the whole event was really well signposted as you'd have seen yourself. Btw: there was 1000m of climbing - most of it in the 50-90 mile range.

The 100 miler was supposed to be restricted to 1000 riders. However I think they allocated a few extra spaces too (I think about 100) - I certainly saw some riders with hand written numbers in the 1000's.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Well, I finished it!!!!! Took a blooming age as it was really, really windy. Hope anybody else who did it had a better experience.
http://app.strava.com/activities/62364854
Well done - hope you enjoyed despite the strong winds. Congratulations on the 1st century! ^_^

What did you think to the "dirt track" around the 96 mile mark? I was clean-ish up until we hit that. The bike and I then looked like we'd been letting people throw mud at us all day!!

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Well done - hope you enjoyed despite the strong winds. Congratulations on the 1st century! ^_^

What did you think to the "dirt track" around the 96 mile mark? I was clean-ish up until we hit that. The bike and I then looked like we'd been letting people throw mud at us all day!!

That dirt track was a complete surprise to me. I was actually quite scared I'd take a tumble trying to negotiate those pot holes and cars coming the other way. I had no idea how deep they were and as I'd hit a pot hole earlier in the ride that bounced my pump out of its holder which made me have to pull over on the grass verge of a busy road (having a clipless moment in my panic) then dodging cars and bike to rescue said pump, I was a nervous wreck. And rather fed up by then!

Hey Ho. Another experience to add to the list :smile:

How was your time btw?

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
My time was 5:51, which was in the target range I was aiming for (around 5:30-6). Felt stangely lethargic on the day, then made the rookie (it was my 1st 100 miler too) mistake of going too quickly in the 1st 30 miles or so. Fortunately I realised I was burning my energy too quickly, eased off slightly and stopped at the 40 mile rest stop for 10 mins or so. Still made the next 30-40 miles quite hard going.

Found I was on my own a lot of the time (which isn't fun) and occassionally just joined slower running groups for a few miles for the company. After that last rest stop at the 70 odd mile mark I just went for it and it definately helped me when a few more riders joined the route where the 50 and 100 mile routes merged together again.

I see you're also doing the London 100 - hopefully there with the increased numbers it'll be easier to join in a group. I'm not an out and out racer and can happily talk while riding at my average pace. Would be good to do so. Time flies quicker - plus it's easier to distract your brain when it keeps telling you there's still xx miles to go and you'll never manage it!! :smile:

Based on Nottingham think my original estimate for London of 6:30 will be about right - but we'll see on the day I suppose.

You got everything sorted for that?

Phoenix Lincs

Über Member
Well done on your time, that's amazing!

Not quite got my head around the travel stuff yet. Need to look at it again today, but learned from Nottingham that I need to revise my foodstuffs to take and must practice feeding/drinking in the saddle. I was so worried about getting blown across the road etc I didn't dare take a hand off the handlebars (apart from indicating).

No wonder my elbows and triceps hurt - hanging on for grim death!

Lovely sunny day here, be a great day for a ride but my sit bones are still complaining, even on a chair, so housework and ironing it is, then work later :smile:

Top Bottom