nottingham newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlalvey

hi all.
new here and back to biking.
joined as my lad who is 9 has started to like biking so looking to get him a better bike and find some places that arent to far from clifton nottingham to go biking.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
:welcome: from Carlton!
What kind of cycling are you looking for, and are you able to get somewhere by car or wanting to ride from home?
I can't advise on serious MTB, just road or decent surfaced routes.
Clifton is slightly hemmed in by A roads (A453, A606), but the road out to Gotham isn't too bad, and opens up a few possible routes including East Leake, Sutton Bonington, Kingston on Soar etc. If you're able to get somewhere by car the possibilities increase massively.
The Vale of Belvoir offers a huge number of possible routes on quiet roads. If you park somewhere like Harby, you can explore a range of fairly level minor roads or tackle a choice of five or more steep hills to the South. When it re-opens, the Dove Cottage tea room is a favourite stop for all manner of local cyclists. While it might be a bit tricky for social distancing right now, the towpath of the Grantham Canal is brilliant for traffic-free riding, hard surface pretty much all the way from West Bridgford to Plungar, and ridable from there towards Grantham on grass. Ordnance Survey Landranger 129 is highly recommended for scoping possible rides. Good luck!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Further thoughts: I'd forgotten about The Big Wheel, a riverside and canalside route of about 10 miles with possible shortcuts, pretty much traffic-free but with provisos over social distancing. You can get access to this via the Wilford toll bridge, which I think you can probably get to from Clifton on cycle routes. It's an interesting ride throughout, and in about 5 weeks time you'll be able to fill boxes with delicious ripe blackberries, as they grow in profusion near the Queens Drive park and ride. The Nottingham cycle map is also worth a look; view online or ask them to mail you a hard copy.

OP
OP
C

carlalvey

Further thoughts: I'd forgotten about The Big Wheel, a riverside and canalside route of about 10 miles with possible shortcuts, pretty much traffic-free but with provisos over social distancing. You can get access to this via the Wilford toll bridge, which I think you can probably get to from Clifton on cycle routes. It's an interesting ride throughout, and in about 5 weeks time you'll be able to fill boxes with delicious ripe blackberries, as they grow in profusion near the Queens Drive park and ride. The Nottingham cycle map is also worth a look; view online or ask them to mail you a hard copy.
thankyou for the advice i think ill give the big wheel a go this week.

Top Bottom