Nottingham.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

I ll be spending a week here, and was hoping a local could advise on a nice flat route south. I ll be looking to pick up the A5 somewhere either just north/south of the M6.

jugglingphil

Are you wanting a loop? or heading to/from somewhere?

jugglingphil

That's a bit further than I tend to roam.
If you want flat you could try.
City centre, head towards the river, then Keyworth, Wymeswold, Barrow upon Soar.
From here East of Leicester is flatter but further.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Got to be in brighton the following evening ^_^
A453 (to avoid Leicester) down to the A5 again to London, it's direct but can be a bit boring. When you get to Old Stratford, carry straight on rather than stay on the A5. This will cut out all the horrendous dual carriageway that goes through Milton Keynes. Pick up the A5 again near Woburn Golf club Then I'd just follow the usual FNRttC route from Hyde Park Corner to Brighton.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Sorry I forgot to mention its the friday before the olympic road race.

Thanks for the help tho. I shall look into your suggestions.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sorry I forgot to mention its the friday before the olympic road race.

Thanks for the help tho. I shall look into your suggestions.
Instead of following the A5 into Hyde Park then, cut off towards Swiss Cottage then down through Euston, Aldwych, over Waterloo Bridge. You should then be able to follow the A23 out of town.

When I cycled up north it was the Tuesday of the Jubilee celebrations, so I used the above Euston route as Hyde Park Corner and surrounding areas were still closed

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

TBH I was thinking about missing out the centre of town all together, going west and crossing the river at say, kingston. My concern on the southern part of the route will be restrictions around the road race route.
As the leatherhead dorking horsham route looks attractive and the bonus being I know it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
TBH I was thinking about missing out the centre of town all together, going west and crossing the river at say, kingston. My concern on the southern part of the route will be restrictions around the road race route.
As the leatherhead dorking horsham route looks attractive and the bonus being I know it.
I'm not sure when the road closures will go in for the road race though and if you're around Leatherhead/Dorking you'll be in the middle of them I think

Top Bottom