Notvreally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

This thing sort of fell out of the air and landed in my garden this morning. I live right next to a wooded area, and there are loads of them living in the trees. It’s a crow, or possibly a jackdaw ( probably the latter because it’s buddies love to imitate telephones ringing and car alarms ) but I think it’s a bit injured / possibly about to die. I’ve left it with some cat food. It keeps looking up when it’s buddies start making a racket in the woods. If it’s still sat on it’s backside later I’ll pop it in the garage with some food, and see if it’s still alive in the morning.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
View attachment 522297

This thing sort of fell out of the air and landed in my garden this morning. I live right next to a wooded area, and there are loads of them living in the trees. It’s a crow, or possibly a jackdaw ( probably the latter because it’s buddies love to imitate telephones ringing and car alarms ) but I think it’s a bit injured / possibly about to die. I’ve left it with some cat food. It keeps looking up when it’s buddies start making a racket in the woods. If it’s still sat on it’s backside later I’ll pop it in the garage with some food, and see if it’s still alive in the morning.
Could have flown into a window or something and be stunned.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Could have flown into a window or something and be stunned.
It’s still here, and wobbling around. It’s asleep under a bush at present. If it’s still around tomorrow I’ll see what’s what. It might have knocked itself out, it’s certainly a fighter anyway.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
A box in the garage would be my suggestion, a Fox or Cat would make short work of it.
The cat that’s sort of made it’s home here couldn’t give a monkey’s, it was more bothered by the fact it ( the bird ) was eating it’s ( the cat’s) food. The bird seems to have worked out where it’s least likely to get eaten.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It's a fledgling Jackdaw... you could have a long term friend there if you want one, young corvids will hand feed readily and will form a strong bond with you if you help raise them.
He's nearly there, he just jumped early and needs a helping hand in getting big and strong. He'll be flying in a week or so. Give him some worms if you can.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
It's a fledgling Jackdaw... you could have a long term friend there if you want one, young corvids will hand feed readily and will form a strong bond with you if you help raise them.
He's nearly there, he just jumped early and needs a helping hand in getting big and strong. He'll be flying in a week or so. Give him some worms if you can.
Could be. It’s either old and knackered, or young and daft, it’s hard to tell for sure.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Length of tail feathers is a give away, fledglings have very short/none older birds have a decent length, thats how you tell this years from last years with most birds, more prevalent on corvids, however you can also tell on most birds, especially pheasants

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Length of tail feathers is a give away, fledglings have very short/none older birds have a decent length, thats how you tell this years from last years with most birds, more prevalent on corvids, however you can also tell on most birds, especially pheasants
Ah, okay, in which case that’s what happened. I guess / hope it made it back to the woods, because it’s not under the bush that it was last night.

Top Bottom