Now grocers' apostrophes on the BBC.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What is going on a the BBC? First we had the embarrassing row over the royal photograph caused by the inexperience of BBC staff. Yesterday we heard the Director General's stammering apology for the BBC having cheated its audiences. Then last night during John Simpson's piece on the flagship ten o'clock news, we were shocked to see two examples of false or grocers' apostrophes in a graphic: the words "Merlin's" and "Chinook's" flashed up on the screen when plurals were intended.

Is the BBC staffed by kids with no education at all?

Keith Oates

Janner
They're just playing games to see who notices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
This is a simple one. A few years ago the BBC controversially dumbed down its entrance exams for all the usual dreary reasons. This policy is now beginning to bite them in the bum. For a while now BBC news has been a triumph of (embarrassing) style over content because they have become incapable of producing serious content. Now it appears that even the seams of the "style" are bursting.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Neither did I until that matter cropped up. What they did was delete all reference to serious heavyweight knowledge (which might indicate some trace of education) and replace them with questions such as asking candidates to name the members of the Spice Girls, in order to demonstrate "relevance".

spen666

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
Neither did I until that matter cropped up. What they did was delete all reference to serious heavyweight knowledge (which might indicate some trace of education) and replace them with questions such as asking candidates to name the members of the Spice Girls, in order to demonstrate "relevance".

surely that is valid now that Mr Prescott is no longer Deputy PM and the Spice Girls are reforming

I'm disturbed by their use of 'over'.

e.g.
- 'Doctors arrested over car bombs'
- 'Questions in house over Iraq'

Never 'for', 'about', 'concerning', etc as is appropriate.

And don't get me started on that word DEE-TAIN-EES....

Top Bottom