Now here's an idea, ban cars basically

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
What we need is the shops to be closed on Sunday.
Shame that...

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I'd give it ten minutes before an angry person in a large 4WD drove through the lot screaming about their imagined road tax and rights.

If it was Bristol, the local rag and it's forum correspondents (loonies mainly) would be frothing at the mouth. They are already moaning about roads closed for those Skyrides etc. Local BBC news - Points West - would probably go and interview that one man & his website who runs the Association of British Drivers for his opinion, Nigel Farage would probably call it anti Brexit and blame the EU, Daily Mail would run a ranty article about it...etc..etc...

al78

Guru
Ban cars? I'm sure those lacking in mobility, disabled and carers who have to transport patients for doctor/hospital appointments will love you for it. Or perhaps not.

People complain about extreme attitudes from motorists, then come out with the cycling equivalent of extremism. What can't people just think, use logic and work things out instead of being primitively dominated by emotion.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Ban cars? I'm sure those lacking in mobility, disabled and carers who have to transport patients for doctor/hospital appointments will love you for it. Or perhaps not.

People complain about extreme attitudes from motorists, then come out with the cycling equivalent of extremism. What can't people just think, use logic and work things out instead of being primitively dominated by emotion.
It should go without saying that disabled motor transport will continue to be exempt from many restrictions. It will even be better because there won't be other selfish motorists in their way so much. Disabled access does not require allowing able bodied motorists to drive everywhere.

Ban cars?
Not quite what was suggested in the video linked to the OP?

People complain about extreme attitudes from motorists, then come out with the cycling equivalent of extremism.
???? :eek::eek::eek:

What can't people just think, use logic ...
... umm?

... Like thinking of the thousands of examples, up and down the country, which work pretty effectively, AND take account of the need for disabled access, deliveries, the elderly, emergency services?

Some are called "pedestrianised zones" ... in a town/city near you :giggle:. Even more are called "bus-lanes" :rofl:.

There's even a few schemes which (shock, horror) single out and "punish" the "poor hard-pressed" single occupant driver - why on earth should his right to lug around an empty arm chair, 3 seater sofa, and a full home entertainment system be curtailed. They're called High-occupancy Lanes, or 2+ lanes. :laugh:

... and work things out instead of being primitively dominated by emotion.
I wonder which of the thread contributors are "primitively dominated by emotion"? Those having the imagination to suggest the occasional closing of a road/roads to motorised traffic (fully understanding the sort of issues that would need to be managed)? Or ......... (I'll leave that hanging :whistle:).

Last edited:
Closing roads to motor traffic? Outlandish. No one is considering the economic damage closing roads will unleash on this fair country. How else will private pharmaceutical companies increase their annual profits, selling their sick care products to overweight, diabetic and polluted air breathing plebeians. Oh the horror of the massive cut backs to government tax revenues for road maintenance/building, plummeting new car sales or the loss of valuable primetime radio advertising (now that captured market in traffic jams are a thing of the past). How will people travel 100 miles to work day after day to the same old office drudgery to buy shoot they don't really need? Good old road rage might just vanish overnight. Will someone please think of the children.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
The government have cottoned on to the fact that they have made driving a car pretty bloody unpleasant and yet so far getting your car stuck in traffic on the way to work where there are no spaces is the default thing to do. I expect they could set all the motorways light up signs to read "YOU ARE ALL MORONIC SHEEP" and people would still lap it up.

Cycling still suffers from the fact that commuting on bike is still seen as an extreme and dangerous thing do it. Whenever I point out to colleagues that my commute is much faster than theirs even over a longer distance I still think many don't believe it. Another colleague went over his handlebars a few weeks ago and got a bit of face road rash. People seem to think this must be a weekly occurrence for me and I am just being a brave little soldier about it.

Reactions: mjr

sheddy

Legendary Member
Why? There would be lots of passing trade... people shop - motor vehicles don't.

What I meant to say was that the retailing sector would lobby that their Sunday trade would be adversely affected
If UK shops were still closed on Sundays (as they used to be) then any road closure campaign would stand a very good chance

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What I meant to say was that the retailing sector would lobby that their Sunday trade would be adversely affected
If UK shops were still closed on Sundays (as they used to be) then any road closure campaign would stand a very good chance
Some would, but it'd be mainly small retailers driven by owner prejudices instead of data. I expect the evidence led ones would be in favour of specialevents

Shops are open Sundays and increasingly finding ways to game the remaining restrictions. No point wishing to turn the clock back because you can't predict how attempts would actually turn out.

Top Bottom