Now I know why it's called a push bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
Following on from the road-bike/plastic bag incident, today I rode the mountain bike into town to see if the LBS could order me a gear-hanger to replace the one the plastic bag bent (I've straightened the existing gear-hanger out best I can, but it would be nice to get a new one). Anyway, being a nice day I decided to take a roundabout route, head across country for a mile or two following the river and then cut back into town from the far side.

Alas, at the farthespt point from home, and still a fair way from town, I got a puncture in the rear tyre. No, I didn't have any tools, tubes, etc. Yes, that'll learn me.

So I pushed the bike for what felt like three miles, but may have only been two and a half, got to the LBS, put in an order for the gear-hanger and asked if I could buy an inner tube and borrow a pump...

No, that's against policy. I can leave the bike there for an hour and they'll fit the tube and pump it up, but they can't let me do it. Needless to say, I pushed the bike for another mile to a different LBS and asked the same question.

Yep, no problem. You fit the tube, I'll pump it up when you're ready.

Hey ho. I have a new favourite LBS. And I'm going to dig out my little underseat bag, the one with the spare tubes and gas cylinders and put it back on the bike...

Cheers!
Del

roadiewill

that first LBS sounds like mine, and I dont have another one to go to ;)

I have 5 bike shops within reach in the city and there's one where from previous experience I wouldn't even bother asking in such a situation - thankfully, it's also the furthest away.

Not all LBS are created equally!

Tynan

Veteran
it sounds like they're tired of people fitting tubes badly and then blaming the LBS when it's punctured when the LBS inflates it

there must be a reason, they might be a decent shop

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Can you blame them though? With lawsuits etc going on, if a customer was to injure themselves with one of the shops tools, they would probably be on the receiving end of a lawsuit.

MarkF

Guru
Gits! My LBS had it all it's own way for years, lots of customer friendly signs like..
"DO NOT TOUCH"
"DO NOT SIT ON THIS BIKE":wacko:
"IF YOU BREAK IT, CONSIDER IT SOLD"
"WE DO NOT "LEND" TOOLS, DON'T ASK"
A new one set up 1 mile away and has no such signs, it's very busy, I wonder why. I like to ride past the first shop watching the signs and stock slowly yellow in the windows.;)

mondobongo

Über Member
Am sure most of us have done that one at some point, just nipped out for a quick 5 minutes on the bike only to get into it and meet the p***t**e fairy a couple of miles down the road. I was about 5 miles from home when I did it and never even had my mobie with me. Only did it the once mind.

got-to-get-fit

Local bike shops do seem to be a mixed bag.

The one where i used to live is a nightmare to browse around cos they follow you round making sure you are not trying to pinch things.....they pretend to be re-arranging stock or tidying shelves when all the time they have one eye fixed firmly on your hands.

The shop where i now live are a joy to do business with. I couldnt get the pedal off my bike the other day when i was trying to fit my SPD's i walked it down to the bike shop and he removed the offending pedal i also mentioned that my indexing was slightly out and he fixed that, he then said to make sure i greased the threads when i put the new pedals in and gave me a half used tube of silicon to do the job. How much do i owe you i asked ......"oh nothing, dont worry about it."

Now thats customer service for you.

Top Bottom