Now if TTs could just start up again...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Getting nearer to the first one of 2021 - 6th April - will I make it? - will it be on?
It's going to be a challenge, after lockdowns, only 4 TT rides last year and a slow start this year.
But hey, if I don't make a start, will put it off and off.

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
I've got the first two TTs of the year next week. Castle Combe 10 on Wednesday, club 8.3 on Thursday. I somehow booked 2 in a row... that happened a few times last year as well. My coach just gave me a glare.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's hopefully got his first of the year on 5th April near Manchester, pending entry confirmation, whereas I got rejected - too slow / offered to be reserve / entered later?

TT's look to be popular again this year, with other racing being held off for a while yet.

Sharky

Guru
Went out for a spin on my SS this morning. In preparation for my first TT ride next month, I stuck on some clip on tri bars. Glad I did as I'd almost forgotten what they were like and had my usual arm and neck aches, which I always get for a few weeks at the start of the season. Hopefully by next month, the cobwebs will have blown away.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've sold my TT bike, so any future TTs are likely to be on the road bike, "for fun". Last time i got under the hour was 2015.

Last time I was more than half-serious about testing was in the late 80s when JT stoked our tandem and we won a few.

Though I did get four age category medals in 24s this century.

Sharky

Guru
I've sold my TT bike, so any future TTs are likely to be on the road bike, "for fun". Last time i got under the hour was 2015.

Last time I was more than half-serious about testing was in the late 80s when JT stoked our tandem and we won a few.

Though I did get four age category medals in 24s this century.
I've been chasing the "hour" all my life. The closest I got was just under 62 mins on the bike in my avatar picture. I was only 19 then and if life hadn't got in the way, I'm sure I would have cracked it. Happy now just to ride our club 10's get under 30 mins.

Anthony.R.Brown

I've been participating in club TTs for the past couple of years, improving quite a bit, and somehow winning fastest overall female (I had a good day, someone else had a bad day). I do them for a bit of fun, because who doesn't love turning themselves inside out for a short space of time. I've spent lockdown accumulating various new TT bits, including bike, wheels, aero helmet, and potentially have a skinsuit on the way. I just picked up my new wheels today. I know it's not the newest/fastest/flashes bike out there (and there isn't much choice for shorties). But it was in my budget and should suit me well. I'm aiming for a sub 23 on our club 8.3mile course. View attachment 530934

I will be using this bike! :smile: See you at the TT Start I will wave as I go past! :smile:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I will be using this bike! :smile: See you at the TT Start I will wave as I go past! :smile:

View attachment 580688

Not CTT legal as the front wheel is more than 45% deep under regulations 14(f) and 14(g) :laugh:

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/88

"(f) Disc wheels or spoked wheels fitted with covers may be used only on the rear of a machine.

(g) Deep section rims, tri-spoke and wheels of a similar design may be used. The front wheel must have at least 45% of the surface area open."

We faced the regulation with the Kingpin we're building for fun, where a 50mm wheel would have fallen foul.

Anthony.R.Brown

Not CTT legal as the front wheel is more than 45% deep under regulations 14(f) and 14(g) :laugh:

https://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/articles/view/88

"(f) Disc wheels or spoked wheels fitted with covers may be used only on the rear of a machine.

(g) Deep section rims, tri-spoke and wheels of a similar design may be used. The front wheel must have at least 45% of the surface area open."

We faced the regulation with the Kingpin we're building for fun, where a 50mm wheel would have fallen foul.

What about if I ride it backwards and spoke the front wheel ? :smile:

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Well this season has started off with a bang. 1:31 PB at Castle Combe on Wednesday, and a 4 second PB at my club TT on yesterday. Here's to hoping the improvement continues. My coach was really impressed :-)

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
Castle Combe doesn't need a rear light. But I made sure everyone had a rear light at my club TT the next day

Top Bottom