Now sold Raleigh Twenty front and rear wheel set 1974

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianpallen

Über Member
Front and rear wheels off my Raleigh Twenty.
Sellng as a matching pair
£40 for the pair
Front has a very good all black tyre and innertube and holding air.
Polishes up well and no rust.

Rear wheel has 3 speed Sturmey Archer Dyno Hub.
20 x 1 3/8
Brand new tyre and inner tube.
Has the toggle chain and changed gear quite well.
They do spin true, no buckles, but I would say the bearings would need a service or loosening. When walking the bike home, it was free rolling and no noises from the wheels.
The bearings feel a little notchy when holding the axles and spinning the wheels. But the bike was stood in a shed for many years.
I have tried to take a pic of the date on the rear hub. The wheels have both of the R nuts on the front and one on the rear. The toggle chain side has a wheel nut and a seperatre part that turns to see the line up of the toggle chain and acts as a lock nut too (I think. First time in my life I have seen this as usually, the toggle nut is one piece).
Both wheels polished up well
There is also a spare tyre which looks good but has a couple of small splits in the rubber on the side wall. Could be from where it was stood with a flat tyre of when I was walking the bike home, but hasnt happened anywhere else on the tyre that I could see.
Ideal to buy these and the other parts together for a bit of a discount.

I think I would be able to post them if I find something suitable an d strong enough to put them in. If I can, post, postage would be £8 for both wheels together.
Collection from Leicester east end not far from the A47

Not advertised elsewhere. Only listed on here.
Any questions, please ask as I might have forgotten something.

Would swap the wheels and everything I have for sale for a kiddie trailer in fair condition or cargo trailer (two wheel type)

Attachments

• DSC_0091.JPG
    DSC_0091.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0101.JPG
    DSC_0101.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0100.JPG
    DSC_0100.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0098.JPG
    DSC_0098.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0097.JPG
    DSC_0097.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC_0096.JPG
    DSC_0096.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0095.JPG
    DSC_0095.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0094.JPG
    DSC_0094.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0093.JPG
    DSC_0093.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Front and rear wheels off my Raleigh Twenty.
Sellng as a matching pair
£40 for the pair
Front has a very good all black tyre and innertube and holding air.
Polishes up well and no rust.

Rear wheel has 3 speed Sturmey Archer Dyno Hub.
20 x 1 3/8
Brand new tyre and inner tube.
Has the toggle chain and changed gear quite well.
They do spin true, no buckles, but I would say the bearings would need a service or loosening. When walking the bike home, it was free rolling and no noises from the wheels.
The bearings feel a little notchy when holding the axles and spinning the wheels. But the bike was stood in a shed for many years.
I have tried to take a pic of the date on the rear hub. The wheels have both of the R nuts on the front and one on the rear. The toggle chain side has a wheel nut and a seperatre part that turns to see the line up of the toggle chain and acts as a lock nut too (I think. First time in my life I have seen this as usually, the toggle nut is one piece).
Both wheels polished up well
There is also a spare tyre which looks good but has a couple of small splits in the rubber on the side wall. Could be from where it was stood with a flat tyre of when I was walking the bike home, but hasnt happened anywhere else on the tyre that I could see.
Ideal to buy these and the other parts together for a bit of a discount.

I think I would be able to post them if I find something suitable an d strong enough to put them in. If I can, post, postage would be £8 for both wheels together.
Collection from Leicester east end not far from the A47

Not advertised elsewhere. Only listed on here.
Any questions, please ask as I might have forgotten something.

Would swap the wheels and everything I have for sale for a kiddie trailer in fair condition or cargo trailer (two wheel type)

Rear hub also has a dynamo so it will feel 'notchy' when spun slowly

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
Nice to see them going to a good home, hopefully the dynamo still works. The 20's weren't a bad bike (my little sister had one) a bit slow and heavy but rode OK.
Mandy's bike wasn't the 'folder' version though

The dyno worked perfectly. The lights lit up brightly when I tested them. I had to clean one contact as the front bulb didnt work at the first try ,but after vchecking the bulb for continuity and cleaning the contact, it worked.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The dyno worked perfectly. The lights lit up brightly when I tested them. I had to clean one contact as the front bulb didnt work at the first try ,but after vchecking the bulb for continuity and cleaning the contact, it worked.

Quite a rare hub these days, SA would have made gazillions of them but time and the scrap man means they're all but gone now. Lot's of 'untutored' people thought the bearings were knackered because of the magnets interfering with each other (known as 'cogging) but all dynohubs do that

OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
Quite a rare hub these days, SA would have made gazillions of them but time and the scrap man means they're all but gone now. Lot's of 'untutored' people thought the bearings were knackered because of the magnets interfering with each other (known as 'cogging) but all dynohubs do that

My other twenty has the same dyno hub. Keeping thsat one as is. :smile:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve taken a Dynohub apart about 18 months ago to give some new bearings and grease, it’s a fiddley fecker, it’s on my ‘67 Dawes Kingpin. If you do want to do a bearing service on one DO NOT remove the magnet without a Magnet Keeper*.

IMG_3458.jpeg
* Which you won’t have or get because they are rare, rarer than tits on a shark.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I’ve taken a Dynohub apart about 18 months ago to give some new bearings and grease, it’s a fiddley fecker, it’s on my ‘67 Dawes Kingpin. If you do want to do a bearing service on one DO NOT remove the magnet without a Magnet Keeper*.

View attachment 694262
* Which you won’t have or get because they are rare, rarer than tits on a shark.

Yeah a lot of people have fecked 'dynohubs' by taking them apart, ditto SA hubs.......................basic rule is if it ain't broke leave it alone

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Yeah a lot of people have fecked 'dynohubs' by taking them apart, ditto SA hubs.......................basic rule is if it ain't broke leave it alone

Taken quite a few SA hubs apart, sorted out squared off bearings, gunged up planetary gears, and most recently one with two seized pawls.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ianpallen

ianpallen

Über Member
Thanks Ian - pleasure to meet you too! Appreciate showing me how the various electric string bits connect together too :-)
Now I just need some time alone in the garage ;-)

You're welcome.
Here are the wiring pics inside the front light in case you need them.

Attachments

• DSC_0012 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0012 - Copy.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0010 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0010 - Copy.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0009 - Copy (2).JPG
    DSC_0009 - Copy (2).JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0007 - Copy (5).JPG
    DSC_0007 - Copy (5).JPG