Now *that's* a pilot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rualexander

Legendary Member
What would happen if the rotor blades did contact the snow though?
Clearly if they hit a rock or hard ice it would be bad news, but what about if they just touched some not too hard snow, would the chopper stay under control and just gouge a furrow in the snow or would even light contact be enough to lose control?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What would happen if the rotor blades did contact the snow though?
Clearly if they hit a rock or hard ice it would be bad news, but what about if they just touched some not too hard snow, would the chopper stay under control and just gouge a furrow in the snow or would even light contact be enough to lose control?
Good question. I certainly wouldn't like to be a helicopter pilot trying to find out!

We have all been assuming that the pilot realised what angle the helicopter was at relative to the snow... Perhaps (s)he was disorientated and thought (s)he had actually landed! :laugh:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That looks almost foolhardy to me although it's hard to judge just how close he actually was to the snow.
Flying a helicopter is very very difficult and totally different to a fixed wing plane. I could never even master a model one.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Good question. I certainly wouldn't like to be a helicopter pilot trying to find out!

We have all been assuming that the pilot realised what angle the helicopter was at relative to the snow... Perhaps (s)he was disorientated and thought (s)he had actually landed! :laugh:
I think it helps the effect that the slope of the mountain is roughly equal to the angle of the helicopter cabin and skids.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Traffic was light in those days wasn't it. I used to drive for Hertz returning cars to Marble Arch depot and we used to do Newcastle to London in 4 hours 30, five cars in convoy, then all pile in one car and drive back. Usually a couple of the drivers would be Police officers moonlighting. Bet that wouldn't be possible nowadays.

Horses don't have a reverse gear!

Well, I suppose they could walk backwards if they tried but I can't imagine a team oh horses running backwards with a stagecoach attached... :laugh:

Exactement! But how many times do you see a runaway carriage/stagecoach rolling backwards towards a precipice with the heroine in a seemingly impossible position?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddxf2YESIgw

Alpine chopper pilots are nuts. Went for a trip round the Matterhorn in 2010, flying with Air Zermatt from the base on the edge of town.
The base is a massive concrete platform, high at the south end (Matterhorn) and very high at the north end (rest of Switzerland).
The helo was parked tail out over drop.
It's a standard rescue craft, not really for sightseeing, but it makes cash, so...
Once the three of us were strapped in, the pilot simply flipped it backward off the platform and roared off down the valley before gaining altitude. This guy knew what he was doing to the centimetre, so the nose on the snow trick surprises me not one bit.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We watched a helicopter taking off from the helipad beside the Vignettes hut on the Haute Route. The aircraft was perched on the helipad, facing outwards over a 2000 ft drop. The pilot started it up, lifted a few feet, pitched forwards and plunged straight over the edge, all the while looking to his left to enjoy the admiring looks of the people inside the dining room. A good thirty seconds later it reappeared way down the valley having swooped straight down the glacier.

From our perspective it looked even more dramatic than this one:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=vignettes+hut+helicopter

Top Bottom