Now there's an effective road safety ad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What a muppet I am, for a second I was thinking, which bloody idiot put a park bench there:biggrin::biggrin:

The bus and phone box etc kinda give it away. I havent been well lately, honest!:smile:;)

yenrod

Ben Lovejoy said:

Once, on the A666 in Lancashire going away from Bolton (aptly) I was riding it in the northerly direction...& a m.bike overtook, well passed me, going quite QUICK he was in quite a hurry to pass other vehicles...and that road is, in places, long straights. I was on false flat (up) riding steady..watching eagle eyed, this bike distancing itself away from me..and I seen a right-hand corner, far into the distance...and I thought wonder if he will get past the motorcar and make the right corner...he did - by the skin of his f.skin: only for a car to come the other way and by god ive never seen such a close 'shave' as that, on the road.

That was 1 hell of a lucky biker, that day - I even felt sorry for the cardriver/s!

For those who know that area and are reading this...try riding from, I think its the A675 then go left (at the pub) and head towards Angelsarke the roads up n down...hard bugger, as your effectively heading west...on this road their is a 90' RIGHT on a downhill: check out the destroyed wall from all the impacts of m.bikes & cars, I guess...

Rediculous !

Still amazes me thinking about it as it had crash written all over it and I was waiting for it..

M.Cyclists are an accident waiting to happen = end of' !

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
am I right in thinking that those most likely to die are middle-aged returnees driving expensive motorbikes?

dellzeqq said:
am I right in thinking that those most likely to die are middle-aged returnees driving expensive motorbikes?

My ex's mother is one of Sweden's foremost physiotherapists in dealing with leg amputees/leg prosthesis users.

She said that by FAR the largest category (in peace time) of people losing lower limbs and being recipients of artificial legs is the male group between 45-60!

They have the time, money and, worst of all, the belief that they can still ride bikes like they used to when in their late teens/early twenties!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Dayvo said:
They have the time, money and, worst of all, the belief that they can still ride bikes like they used to when in their late teens/early twenties!
They possibly *can* still ride like they did when they were in their teens/early twenties... however, back then a 400cc machine was nowhere near as powerful as a similar model of today. They see the cc of the engine and just (presumably) assume that it'll be like their 'glory days'...

I had a friend whose Dad got back into m/biking after a good few years away.. he used to own a 600cc back in the day so bought a VFR 600... he changed it not long after to a 250 (IIRC) as it was just far too quick for him to be able to effectively control!!!

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
jay clock said:
good ad, but not sure how you can say it is effective. I didn't see any evidence that it has helped reduce accidents
Effective in making the point

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

dellzeqq said:
It depends whether you are talking about rural or urban crashes.

Rural crashes, yes. The most common motorcycle crash there is failing to make it round a bend, no other vehicle involved, and so-called Born Again Bikers are indeed the most common fatalities for the reason Sharkey described. A sportsbike in 1970 had about 30bhp; one today has over 100bhp.

Urban crashes, no. The most common fatal motorcycle crash there is another vehicle pulling out across the path of the motorcycle, and BABs don't feature any more heavily there than any other age-group.

OP
OP
CopperBrompton

CopperBrompton

magnatom said:
P.S. Ben, have a look at the Time for action thread. We have money! :smile:
So I saw :-)

I'm not going to be around much until mid-Jan, but if we can do it then I should still be able to take photos for this.

Top Bottom