Now, this one was a steal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Saturday morning scanning the local equivalent of gumtree, thre is a cheap old Raleigh in ti colours: poor quality non driveside photo and a silly low initial offer price. Nothing to see here so I go to the next ad, and then come back. The rear brake cable is routed under the top tube and there is no chrome, but impossible to see much else from the photos except that it is well used.

So, I bid above the one offer and ask the size. The seller has placed the add on behalf of his father, he does n’t know the size but his dad is 1.80, about an inch taller than me, this could be worth a punt. One final bid to go past a well known trader and this evening I collected this.^_^

Old, faded, very well used it is a 753 framed SBDU.

Anyone advice on how to return the paint to red from Trump would be most welcome.

Last edited:
Nice one - I'm going to have to start scouring the Belgian equivalent of Gumtree! A quick eBay 'sold items' search reveals how much of a steal that is.

As for the paintwork, that's the patina vs refinishing debate. What do you plan on doing with the bike? If undecided, I'd recommend removing all the extraneous gubbins from it and riding the snot out of it for a while as-is to see if it's a doer-upper-keeper. If you don't want it, I'll give it a good home!

You're going to be spoilt for choice for the Retro Ronde though ^_^

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Nice one - I'm going to have to start scouring the Belgian equivalent of Gumtree! A quick eBay 'sold items' search reveals how much of a steal that is.

As for the paintwork, that's the patina vs refinishing debate. What do you plan on doing with the bike? If undecided, I'd recommend removing all the extraneous gubbins from it and riding the snot out of it for a while as-is to see if it's a doer-upper-keeper. If you don't want it, I'll give it a good home!

You're going to be spoilt for choice for the Retro Ronde though ^_^

To be totally honest it is a fraction large, 60 cm, but I can stand over the top tube...just. Current plan is to ride it and see how it feels. If I keep it and decide to repaint it will go to Frank Hoste as he rode for TI in 81-82.

Start looking on https://www.2ememain.be/vélos/ I can collect for you:okay:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Wow you do find some great bikes:okay:.....I've no money or space for any more bikes, but I'm bookmarking that link anyway:whistle:^_^

I've never ridden a 753 but would love to try one, a SBDU Raleigh one for a steal is an amazing find. Chain set does look lovely, what's the length of those cranks, they look very long?

Look forward to seeing it after a good clean up, keep us posted. Happy riding.

robsa

Über Member
Wash it,polish it remove that hideous back mudguard and ride it.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
The cranks are 170, I was surprised too, as they look longer.

I hope to strip it down and clean it over the next week or so. Currently the seatpost rotates but is not moving up or down. I need to get some penetrating oil and get to work.

Top Bottom