Now what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

A bit OT i know but you get a better quality of poster in here.
I started cycling in January in order to get fit, lose weight and stop me going back on the fags. I signed up for the WRC (short route) to give myself a target.

Well i have enjoyed it more than i can have imagined. Commuting has formed the majority of my cycling as i have two kids and find it hard to get away at the weekend. I started off driving half and cycling half, using tow paths and the like. Have built up and now do the whole distance three times a week or so. This was an unimagineable distance when i started, yet i now find myself laughing at peoples shock at work when they found out i cycle all the way.

I completed the WRC yesterday and am proud of the work i put into that. I know its not as far as most on here cycle but i found it really tuff.

So having reached my 'goal' a chance to reflect.

The minuses of cycling

Little things going wrong with the bikes take up a bit of time.
Organising myself and kit for commuting is not my strong point.
Weight loss has been a bit dissapointing. half a stone.

Plus points

Feel fit as F*ck
I really enjoy it
I think it has made me a happier more chilled person
Financial benefit. (saving a 1.5 gallons fuel a day)

I will definitely continue cycling but want to have a direction so i dont just lose enthusiam.

Considering

10 mile tt
figure out how to use my commute as an effective form of training.
Another cycling event?? which one?
Cycling holiday?
Incorporating cycling into other aspects of life besides commute,
Try MTBing

I know this is a bit of a ramble but would be interested toknow what you would do, or if you have been in this situation yourself.

Thanks
andy

yenrod

Andy your true example of inspiration mate !

Keith Oates

Janner
Makes good reading Andy, hope the pleasure continues for a long time to come. I also do more miles commuting than any other but I really give it a go on most days to raise fitness and I also make monthly distance targets. These are ones that I make for me but I do my best to achieve them and it gives me incentive on days when I don't feel like doing a ride. Record your rides on Cyclogs or similar and join the CC team is another way to keep the enthusiasm going.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Well done, Andy! Keep it up. Your plus points far outwiegh the minus!

Try and beat your previous time on each commute, and to lose more weight, cut out meat! Works for me!

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Andy, I'm well impressed mate, good going!

I suffer from a never ending fight to lose weight, and cycle about 70 miles a week (was doing twice as many per week, but kids keep me busy now). I try to change it up as much as possible -mtbing is a good way to go if you can get somewhere that's convenient.

Let me suggest another thought: what about thinking about doing a tour? Maybe if you can just do a small 3 day tour -perhaps the family can join you half way, or perhaps you can get a nice break in. Use the thought of a tour as a motivation if you can do one.

Another but more materialistic aspect is to buy another bike if you can afford it. Nothing like a new bike to get you out as well.

I'm doing the Yorkshire Dales Cycleway in September and doing the Cape Cod in a couple of weeks -both have been good motivators to me to keep going. I fully intend to cycle across the States (one day.... one day.....)

Again, I'm impressed, keep up the good work.

hackbike 6

The minuses of cycling

(1)Little things going wrong with the bikes take up a bit of time.
(2)Organising myself and kit for commuting is not my strong point.
(3)Weight loss has been a bit dissapointing. half a stone.

(1) Happens to all of us.
(2) It will come with time?
(3) Im told by my work colleagues I should be as slim as anything as I cycle all the time but in the real world nitto.

I take it ,it's my diet and lifestyle that doesn't help.Im at least a stone overweight but I suppose if I gave up the booze as well that would help.

Cycling isn't a miracle cure,diet and lifestyle plays a big part.

Ashtrayhead said:
Well done, Andy! Keep it up. Your plus points far outwiegh the minus!

Try and beat your previous time on each commute, and to lose more weight, cut out meat! Works for me!

hmmm, i need to lose weight too!- does this mean like stop eating meat, or just cut some off my great belly???- dont think i could give up eating it!!!

Andy, well done, im not as far into this as you, but who knows, with time, i think im heading that way too (wanting more challenges, commute only 7 miles each way!)

frog

The minuses of cycling

Little things going wrong with the bikes take up a bit of time.

You can't buy knowledge or experience. Everything you do on the bike just makes you better and better. When it comes to fixing the bike it's rare to make the same mistake more than 50 or 60 times :biggrin:

Organising myself and kit for commuting is not my strong point.

Have a look at the number of posts from folks who have left underpants, trousers, shirts, socks, ties etc at home. You're in very good company. In fact, hands up any commuter who hasn't left an item of clothing at home - see what I mean :blush:

Weight loss has been a bit dissapointing. half a stone.

You've lost a lot more than you think. Muscles you've developed through riding weigh more than fat. Not only have you lost weight but you've changed shape too.

Very Well Done :becool:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
frog said:
hands up any commuter who hasn't left an item of clothing at home
Me, me, me... well if you discount the fact that I've forgotten my undies and socks today, and chance saved me because I had a shirt at work... but apart from that I'd remembered everything! :blush:

walker

Andy,

you could always try and do another Sportive? maybe a longer distance.

or try and cut down your commute time.

I wouldn't cut out meat, not uless you replace it with Iron tablets.

now cutting out bread..................

domtyler

Über Member
The minuses of cycling

(1)Little things going wrong with the bikes take up a bit of time.
(2)Organising myself and kit for commuting is not my strong point.
(3)Weight loss has been a bit dissapointing. half a stone.

1- Either just wait until you have finished learning all the basics and can do it all yourself, or find a decent local bike shop that can do it all for you, or preferably a mixture of the above.

2- Leave it all at work, shirts, underwear, breakfast cereal etc. Find a local dry cleaners who will wash and iron your shirts for less than £1.50 each and it will be cheaper than doing it yourself and a whole lot less hassle. You will never have to think about it.

3- Beer? :biggrin:

davidtq

User1314 said:
It is body-shape, not weight that matters.

For months I lost nothing. Then I got fitter, started pushing a bit more and:

Hey presto. In the last two months I’ve lost an inch and will soon be down to 32” waist.

I’m 5’7” and was 34” with a noticeable belly. And my face is far more honed as well.

Ive definetely lost belly and gained leg muscles and somewhere between those two struck a balance where I have the same weight as before :smile: (lost then regained 1 stone in the process...) Im not going to worry about it, I can feel in myself that Im far fitter than I was before.

Ive still got a spare tyre but its now a sporty low profile model, barely noticeable when standing up :biggrin: Im 5'8" and was finding 32" trousers a bit tight on the waist, now Im finding them a bit loose but still not comfortable in 30" trousers...

When I got married I was comfortable in 28" waist trousers :biggrin: and weighed 9.5 stone Im now 11.5 stone :biggrin:. I guess thats what eating regular balanced meals instead of irregular junk food does for me :biggrin:. I have to say I was on the skinny side before and think I look better for a bit of extra weight - Now that a good bit of it has moved to my legs :biggrin:

cupoftea

Try MTBing, during the summer, get into the county side and enjoy.

Try getting the rest of the family involved

PS with the weight thing, unless someone’s already mentioned muscle weighs more than fat

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done - fitness is more important than weight and it will come off anyway.

I was 14.5 stone and now a smidge over 12, that was 12 months ago. 5'9" and had a 36 inch waist and now have about a 32, but can't get my thighs/arse in 32 inch trousers, so have to tighten up my belt in 34's - all due to cyling... gives you big legs.....

Saves me a fortune in petrol, although lack of car use meant it just cost me £90 to get the car air con re-gassed, but that was just 2 weeks petrol cost 12 months ago, before I moved jobs and started cycle commuting again.

I've got two kids also, and know how difficult it can be, but commuting will give you a good base.

You can always add a few miles onto the commute - my shortest possible route is 6 miles, but I do an 11 mile route into work and back. Save the short route for when knackered, feeling unwell, or the weather is terrible - no I don't mean a little rain).

Targets - get yourself out at weekends - one bigger ride say 30-50 miles - set off early so you are back before lunch - I do that on Sundays fairly often, then slip either a quick 10 or 20 miles in on a saturday - you'd be surprised how hard you can make a 30 minute trip....

If you do some longer rides, try some hilly ones, see how you do, record times, then as you get fitter see how much quicker you do it.

E.g. 18 months ago I decided to get back into cycling alot - wasn't commuting at that point, and a goal was to complete a hilly 45 mile circuit in the Peak district. After 3 months training (March 2007) I managed it in 3 hours. Started commuting daily in August 2007, and by October, I had knocked off 25 minutes off the circuit (2h 35m)..... last weekend that was now down to 2 hours 25 mins....massive fitness improvement...

Seeing things like that happen really motivate you. Having to use the car yesterday to get it into a garage really made me want to be back on the bike - just one day off it.....

You are doing well, and some of the best bits are seeing colleagues reaction to the miles you are doing...."you rode how many miles......."

Top Bottom