now what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jodami84

Just getting myself organised with this biking lark and wondered what people regarded as the essentials kit wise for cycling. Obviously got the bike, helmet, fluorescents, and just purchased a rather handy multi-tool.

What else would people say i need? Deffo need to lose a few stone before im kitted out in any tight-fitting cycling apparel

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
Spare innertubes, punct*r* repair kit, water bottle, lights, maybe a cycling computer, tight clothing is only a must if you dont want too much wind resistance.

OP
OP
J

Jodami84

good grief, how many blindingly obvious things have i forgotten about. Actually got a drinks bacpack thing for running so that will do a job. As for lights, how did i forget them?

Where are the best places to get cycling things online?

gbb

Legendary Member
Under the saddle bag is useful for all your bits and bobs Jodami..
I carry in mine...
Puncture outfit and tyre levers (essential IMO)
Multitool
Spare innertube (if space allows it)
Couple of pair of disposable gloves.

It'll grow as you go further, and aquire more gear like a chain splitter etc, but the above are pretty essentail.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Jodami84 said:
Where are the best places to get cycling things online?

Ebay is pretty good, if you know what you are buying. Some quite good businesses on there. Woolly Hat Shop springs to mind. They also sell via Amazon.
Otherwise Parker International, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, PBK, Dotbike, Ribble (Ribble often cheapest but some people have found Ribble unreliable but I've never had a problem)
when you are ready for the apparel try www.cycle-clothing.co.uk

g00se

Veteran
Re the pumps - get a small one to take with you for emergencies and a track pump for the home - as tyres can be a pain to get up to full pressure with the tiny ones.

Check out Lidl this thursday; keep your eye out on this site or their own for Aldi's cycling sales. They are both sellers of pretty decent stuff at really cheap prices. Decathlon have just started mail order and they're similar prices for clothing.

Lots of us started out with Aldi/lidl - and many just kept going! - they've also branched out into tools, lights, computers etc.

Captain

I also discovered Wilko's have got a small range - I just picked up brake cables for £1.30 each, and a D-lock for £4 aswell.

It's not the best stuff but it's really cheap.

Hont

Guru
If we are talking essentials: you only need clothes that are comfortable to ride and exercise in, a drinks bottle (your camelbak or similar will do just as well to start) and tools to repair a puncture (repair kit and pump (+ a spare inner tube will make any repairs easier)) or mechanical out on the road. If you're intending to leave the bike anywhere, you'll need a lock. You need something on the bike that can hold all this stuff and anything else you take (keys, mobile phone, food if you need it) that can't be carried in your clothes.

You only need lights if you're going out in the dark. A track pump is one for down the line IMHO - at this stage as long as you have some form of functioning pump you'll be fine.

There are lots of things which you will later purchase that you wondered how you did without but right now I can't think of anything else that is "essential".

Personally I would add a bike comp (cos I like to know how far I've been) and cycling mits (for comfort and because if, god forbid, you fall off it's normally the hands that bear the brunt).

HTH.

g00se

Veteran
Captain said:
I also discovered Wilko's have got a small range - I just picked up brake cables for £1.30 each, and a D-lock for £4 aswell.

It's not the best stuff but it's really cheap.

Oh yes, of course! GET A LOCK!!!

zacklaws

Guru
Wilko's puncture repair kits are good value and good quality, 72p. Usually I have to pay around a £1 for a strip of 6 patches from the LBS, but by buying a kit from Wilko's I get the patches plus the solution too.

Top Bottom