Noweight chain tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks light, but I hope you've trialled it on a cold, dark night (or in the cellar with the light off and someone pouring water over your face and hands).

I was once told to never leave the house without a chain tool. Luckily I listened to the advice, and two weeks later my chain snapped. It was a late October night, raining heavily, ten miles from the nearest train station, I was on my way to work to do a small but critical job for the next day's orders, and if I hadn't had the chain tool, and known how to use it, I'd have been scuppered.

As it was, I fixed it and had a great ride to work and then home.

Mr Phoebus

Twenty Inch said:
Looks light, but I hope you've trialled it on a cold, dark night (or in the cellar with the light off and someone pouring water over your face and hands).
:biggrin:

Twenty Inch said:
I was once told to never leave the house without a chain tool. Luckily I listened to the advice, and two weeks later my chain snapped. It was a late October night, raining heavily, ten miles from the nearest train station, I was on my way to work to do a small but critical job for the next day's orders, and if I hadn't had the chain tool, and known how to use it, I'd have been scuppered.

As it was, I fixed it and had a great ride to work and then home.
Same here, it can save an awful lot of frustration and walking.
I actually met someone who's chain had snapped, 10 minutes later he was on his way again...thanks to my chain tool. (must remember to carry some disposable gloves though) ;)

barq

Twenty Inch said:
I was once told to never leave the house without a chain tool.

Yep, they are essential kit if you don't want to be walking home.

Last time I needed one was about 6.45am on Christmas Day. Got up early for a nice ride (and let's face it, with all the food and drink, it's not like I'd have been going anywhere later on). Sub zero conditions, mud everywhere. I damaged my rear mech and had to do the old emergency singlespeed fix. The walk home in cycling shoes would have been over two hours and I would have got VERY cold.

Top Bottom