Numb hands road cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

I have been suffering from pins and needles in both hands for some time now,sometimes worse than others.

This morning for example was particularly bad after around 40mins in.

I adjusted my drop bar angle up slightly recently as I felt maybe all my weight was on my hands,it has not helped with the numbness however I feel like I’m leaning over my hands less with this new angle.

I have read a few threads talking about seat angle and another thing to try was to put my seat further back?

Can anyone advise anything and on adjusting seat position best?

I still feel like my weight is mostly on my hands,which is causing the issue.

Alex321

Veteran
Your weight should be more on your backside than your hands, though with some on the hands.

If it is mostly on your hands, then most likely either your saddle is too high, or your reach is too long.

But even if your main riding position is correct, you are still likely to get issues with numb hands on a long ride, if you don't change the position of your hands reasonably often. Don't ride on the hoods ALL the time (or on the drops), but switch between them every now and then, and even ride on the tops for a bit if you are sure you won't need to brake suddenly.

PK99

Legendary Member
I have been suffering from pins and needles in both hands for some time now,sometimes worse than others.

This morning for example was particularly bad after around 40mins in.

I adjusted my drop bar angle up slightly recently as I felt maybe all my weight was on my hands,it has not helped with the numbness however I feel like I’m leaning over my hands less with this new angle.

I have read a few threads talking about seat angle and another thing to try was to put my seat further back?

I still feel like my weight is mostly on my hands,which is causing the issue.

Does this describe the pins and needle sensation:

Tingling or numbness. You may notice tingling and numbness in your fingers or hand. Usually the thumb and index, middle or ring fingers are affected, but not your little finger. You might feel a sensation like an electric shock in these fingers.

If so, it may be Carpal Tunnel syndrome.

Google and a doctor are what you need.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The sensation may not be directly from pressure on your hands, but from spinal issues. Nothing sinister, just a poor posture putting pressure on the nerves going down your arms.

Another thing about posture and weight distribution - core strength is important. If you have an ineffective core then you will tend to lean on your hands and arms, which puts tension all the way up to your shoulders and spine. I test myself whilst riding by proving to myself that I can maintain my riding position with no weight on the bars.. My core is not especially strong so I can't maintain this indefinitely but it's a way of testing how much I am relying on my arms. I do the same on my motorbike.

I call it the "new bike syndrome" at least for me. I tend to unconsciously grip the bars tight particularly with my right hand when I ride on a new bike for couple of weeks. I suppose I learning to make bodily adjustment while gripping my hand. It then goes away permanently. When it happened with my third new bike, I kept changing my hand positions on drops and it went away immediately within a day.

Once you get the numbness it does not go away even if you release the grip. Takes about an hour to subside. Definitely pinching some nerve.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
this may be the crux of the problem, but very hard to advise on over the interweb.

Weight should be split between seat hands and feet. there is a lot of stuff advising on DIY bike fit maybe worth looking at, or better still booking a session with a bike fitter.

do you wear gloves/mitts - that can help if its road buzz cause. also double wrapping bar tape can help too, or putting those gel pads under the bar tape.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Thanks for replies so far.

I can confirm I ride on the hoods 90% of the ride, if I ride on one hand for a few minutes then the hand I’m resting is ok for a bit,so what I mean is changing my hand position does help the issue.

I’m very new to road cycling and drop bars, this is my first drop bar bike since I was around 12 Years old, I’m now 42!

I can confirm I ride on the hoods 90% of the ride,
Drop bars give you about twelfty positions; this is their main benefit, so try to use them! :smile:

The other test - can you ride with no weight on your hands i.e. by using your torso muscles to hold your body up? (doesn't have to be for minutes at a time, just a few seconds!)
If not, either your setup/position needs tweeking, or you're a little lacking in core strength (which will often come with miles on the bike - may not need any fancy exercises).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
its hard to diagnose , it might help if you posted a photo of yourself on your bike with your leg at the bottome of the pedal stroke , from the side?
I suffered with bad hands a few years ago and it turned out i had a much to aggresive set up so too much weight was on my hands , by moving the saddle back and down slightly along with a shorter stem i solved the problem
These are good guides on fit .
https://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/bike-set-up-2017a.pdf
https://bikedynamics.co.uk/neckpain
https://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html

Top Bottom