Numb Mens Bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

koro

Hi,

First off I know its been asked before on theses forums but I couldnt remember the words for the search...

I did my first 50 miles the other night on my Defy 2, after 35 miles it felt like I must have had an "epidermal "...Totaly numb bits from the front to underneath ( oh i am a bloke).. It took me about 3hrs 20mins, it was a matter of survival towards the end.

What gets me is bike setup, I seem to be forever altering the setup..each time I go further and faster something else on by body seems to hurt, as in a comfort pain, if that makes sense. My legs and knees feel great, so I am assuming my seat is in correct position, ( knee over pedal spindle, leg vearly nearly stright at 6 o`clock, etc). The shape of the saddle on the Defy dosn`t make it easy to put a spirit level across to get it level, although there are markings to show tilt, mine is on `0` level.

I do get a lower left back pain, done the stretching before and after a ride. I again assume that as I get it only on the left side that I will prob just have to get used to it, (45 year old geezer), that I although could do without, could live with...

But the numbness, that was real painful, I tried to shift my wait around the seat, when I was able to, lifting up a little going downhill and so forth. My backside is ok with the seat otherwise, should I be looking at tilting the seat? I wear the Aldi lycra cying shorts, it took me ages to pluck up the courage to wear them, hence I purchased them as they were really cheap...the quality of the pad seems adequate though..

Do you ever get into the situation that you can set the bike up to cover all distances with the same comfort?

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
numbness is a good search word and it throws up this (among others)
https://www.cyclechat.net/

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I found the aldi cycling shorts were crap tbh.

I bought 2 pairs when they came out and binned them the padding was terrible this year.I tried various saddles to no avail until i realized it was the shorts i bought.
Got a pair from the LBS and i have been fine since.

have you tried sticking a plank of wood on the saddle then using a spirit level on top of that? i did and was surprised at the result.Lower back pain could be the reach or the handle bar height.You could try flipping the stem on your handlebars to raise you up a bit before you try buying another stem (worked for me i am 42 and found the lowdown position a bit much for me as i like to get onto the drops as well as the hoods).

I can recommend the charge spoon saddle as a cheap comfy saddle as well.

OP
OP
koro

koro

doh, I used the word numbness and then found loads of topics...

Seems like after reading them that, either tilting the seat up or down a little helps..

It was interesting though to read that moving the seat forward a little may help... I had moved mine back a little to help my back, hence I did the drop string from the knee. Perhaps I will move the seat forewards a little.

I will also go out and stick a plank of wood across and then use a spirit level..Just this moment gone done this, blimey to get the seat level doing this way, meant tilting the seat back somewhat from `0`, with the seat having like having like aturned up bit at he rear end, is this still the right way to go about levelling?

(if only I was able to have more time to go out and ride to experiment)

Interesting to hear that you think that the Aldi shorts may not be up to it, now that I dont feel a prat wearing lycra, I may invest in some better ones.

Raising the stem, does get rid of the pain, but it feels like a sit up and beg, I still have the boy racer mentality, lol...along with a back ache

Thanks for you guys response

Rebel Ian

I don't get numbness but if I'm on rough roads I do get a tingling sensation after about 45 minutes which regrettably only lasts for a short while :smile:

e-rider

crappy member
don't trust the angle indicator - it is a relative measure.

you will most likely have success by changing the saddle to a different design.

it's difficult to say what design would suit you without trying a few. If you have bike mates ask if you can borrow a saddle for a few rides and see which design works for you. there is also a saddle exchange here on CC - look for the saddle library at the bottom on the main page

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I changed to a Richey bio saddle has a cut out section down the middle problem sorted for not much cash.

006-6.jpg

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=39295

aberal

Veteran
koro said:
Seems like after reading them that, either tilting the seat up or down a little helps..

Your saddle should be level - they're not designed to be tilted up or down. Properly padded shorts/longs will help load as will constantly shifting your weight around as you cycle before you start feeling any numbness/pain.

aberal said:
Your saddle should be level - they're not designed to be tilted up or down. Properly padded shorts/longs will help load as will constantly shifting your weight around as you cycle before you start feeling any numbness/pain.

"Level unladen" can be different to "level whilst sat on a saddle", depending on the style, padding and rider anatomy, a saddle that looks level might allow sinking back a little more to the rear effectively giving more pressuire where you don't want it. Appearing ever so slightly nose-down might level out when sat on it.

I find the best way to level the saddle is to go for a ride with an allen key in my pocket

Chrisc

Guru
Sheffield_Tiger said:
"Level unladen" can be different to "level whilst sat on a saddle", depending on the style, padding and rider anatomy, a saddle that looks level might allow sinking back a little more to the rear effectively giving more pressuire where you don't want it. Appearing ever so slightly nose-down might level out when sat on it.

I find the best way to level the saddle is to go for a ride with an allen key in my pocket

Exactly. My saddle is 2 degrees nose down. BUT when I sit on it, the rear sag levels it out. Last time I followed conventional wisdom and levelled it perfectly I ended up with numb bits as well. Nosed it down a bit again and perfectly comfy again.

OP
OP
koro

koro

Cheers everyone for the info and links...

The seat is now level, using block of wood across the top of the saddle. using a spirit level, if I start to get the numb feeling in my bits (my sit bones feel ok), should I adjust a little on down tilt or up tilt?

How do you get a bike setup that feels good doing 20 miles and the same at +60miles, is it a trade off?

This setting up is a pain in its own right...

Just read ChrisC reply,,, I will adjust the nose down a fraction, when it all starts to go numb..

I will also look into getting a better pair of lycra padded shorts..

Top Bottom