Numb toes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tbombstud

Hi All,

First post here.

I've had a road bike for a while now, previously had the pedals that were supplied and now on cycle shoes and cleats.

My issue is, the outside of my feet go numb, normally two to three toes on each foot.

I've tried stopping and lossening off the laces, raising and lowering my seat(thinking the angle of reach was too much) but I still get the numbness.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Apologies if this has been asked a million times.

TIA for any help.

Slioch

Guru
If you didn't get numbness before but do now, it's possibly the positioning of the cleats on the shoe. Try adjusting the position (forward/backwards, left/right). Plenty of articles and videos on youtube. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/bike-fit/cleats-explained-how-to-set-them-up-correctly-23575

How far do you go before you toes start going numb?

What type of cleats do you have (Shimano SPD or SPD SL, or something else?)

Also, what kind of shoes? The soles should be stiff enough to minimise any flex. Budget shoes may not be stiff enough.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
did you go a size up with the shoes for the new pedals or go for the same size as your normal shoe ? cycle specific shoes tend to be tighter fitting and as your ride your feet swell a bit .
I got that problem a few times and in every case it was due to the shoes being too narrow for my feet. The length of the shoes was fine but the 'close' fit across the front of each shoe became an unbearably tight fit as my feet started to swell during the rides. One particular ride was so bad that I couldn't cycle for weeks afterwards and had problems even walking.

Solution for me was to buy different shoes. My current Shimano shoes are actually a couple of Euro sizes bigger than the shoe size of my walking boots.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I got that problem a few times and in every case it was due to the shoes being too narrow for my feet. The length of the shoes was fine but the 'close' fit across the front of each shoe became an unbearably tight fit as my feet started to swell during the rides. One particular ride was so bad that I couldn't cycle for weeks afterwards and had problems even walking.

Solution for me was to buy different shoes. My current Shimano shoes are actually a couple of Euro sizes bigger than the shoe size of my walking boots.
im the same in shimano i had to go 2 sizes up , i use northwave and stll + 1 size to give the feet enough room , i find spesh the same +1 size gives me a decent width.

OP
OP
Tbombstud

Tbombstud

If you didn't get numbness before but do now, it's possibly the positioning of the cleats on the shoe. Try adjusting the position (forward/backwards, left/right). Plenty of articles and videos on youtube. https://www.cyclingweekly.com/fitness/bike-fit/cleats-explained-how-to-set-them-up-correctly-23575

How far do you go before you toes start going numb?

What type of cleats do you have (Shimano SPD or SPD SL, or something else?)

Also, what kind of shoes? The soles should be stiff enough to minimise any flex. Budget shoes may not be stiff enough.

I did get numbness before unfortunately. Usually about 10miles or so before I start noticing it. I bought shimano spd and shoes from wiggle, the shoes are comfortable enough, loose ish laces and they do have a firm sole, I've made a small adjustment to the cleats, out tomorrow for a ride so will see how that goes.

OP
OP
Tbombstud

Tbombstud

did you go a size up with the shoes for the new pedals or go for the same size as your normal shoe ? cycle specific shoes tend to be tighter fitting and as your ride your feet swell a bit .

Yep up a size, theres plenty space within the shoes,

I stopped yesterday and made sure the laces werent too tight, I've made a small adjustment on the cleats to see if that helps. Out tomorrow and will see

OP
OP
Tbombstud

Tbombstud

Thanks for all the replies folks. I'll have a play around with clear adjustments etc and report back in due course. Cheers.

OP
OP
Tbombstud

Tbombstud

So adjusted the cleats forward slightly, unfortunately still got numb toes.

I stopped part way round to make a minor seat adjustment and the numbness had cleared within minutes of standing, does this point to my body position or is this still potentially a shoe fitting issue?

TIA.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Tbombstud I've had this problem in the past. In my opinion it is almost certainly your foot position. I think moving the cleat forward is the wrong direction. The ball of your foot should be on the pedal. For me the comfortable position is with the cleat slightly behind the "knuckle" joint of my big toe.

Take an Allen key with you on your next ride. When the numbness starts, stop adjust the cleat backwards and continue riding. Rinse and repeat till the numbness disappears.

Everything else you've posted sounds right. Be careful not to overtighten the shoes as this reduces blood circulation.

OP
OP
Tbombstud

Tbombstud

@Tbombstud I've had this problem in the past. In my opinion it is almost certainly your foot position. I think moving the cleat forward is the wrong direction. The ball of your foot should be on the pedal. For me the comfortable position is with the cleat slightly behind the "knuckle" joint of my big toe.

Take an Allen key with you on your next ride. When the numbness starts, stop adjust the cleat backwards and continue riding. Rinse and repeat till the numbness disappears.

Everything else you've posted sounds right. Be careful not to overtighten the shoes as this reduces blood circulation.

Thanks for that, I'll try it in a few days and post back. Cheers again for the help.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I get numb toes on longer rides, using toe clips and straps. Usually just wiggling my toes around inside my shoes is enough to dispel it. But if the weather is even a little chilly they can take a while to regain feeling.

Keeping my core temperature up nice and warm seems to help too.

OP
OP
Tbombstud

Tbombstud

Well moving them back seemed to do the trick, nowhere near the numbness previously, did feel them going slightly numb but a few wriggles of the toes seemed to help.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and help me out.

Top Bottom