Numbness / tingling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toptec

Starting to get a tingling sensation in my right hand fingers (thumb & little finger are ok though). It starts about 2 miles into a ride & then turns into numbness.At this point I have to continually change my hand position
on the bar, mainly ride on the hoods, but moving to the centre either side of the stem helps. I've had a carpal tunnel op on my left hand years ago & this is fine. Do you think it could be the dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome or maybe something else? Any advice would be helpful
Thanks in advance

You're putting too much weight through your hands. When your core strength improves, it will be less of a problem, as you'll be distributing the weight more evenly.

Both my hands get this, left hand is tingly all the time now. Accept it. Unless it is a medical condition in which case go see the greengrocer.

OP
OP
T

Toptec

How did the surgery affect you when it came to recovering and getting back out cycling again? I could have both wrists done at once, but I'm a bit reluctant.[/QUOTE]
Wrist surgery is painful & slow to heal, the cut [ mines like an inverted T ] is usually on crease line that goes across the wrist joint from side to side. Worth having done for the long term benefit, although at the time I questioned why I'd done it. As for having both done at the same time,OMG never in a month of sundays, unless procedures / recovery has vastly changed, I don't see how you could function as a human being ^_^

I fitted new, spongier bar tape, 2 layers of it, and gel pads underneath. Does not look too bad and is very much more comfortable. Still get numb hands but I ride a recumbent bike too - so that helps.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need to re-position yourself on the bike with less weight on your hands. Make sure your saddle is set up correctly with about a 2 degree cant backwards so that your pelvic bones are "cupped". A flat or forward-canted saddle will throw your weight onto the bars. Make sure the tops and brake hoods are angled up by abut 5 degrees. Raise the bars if necessary. And yes, use Specialized Body Geometry bar tape with gel pads underneath.

Can you post a pic of your bike, sideways-on, on here? People will be able to comment on your setup.

Cyclist33

You need to re-position yourself on the bike with less weight on your hands. Make sure your saddle is set up correctly with about a 2 degree cant backwards so that your pelvic bones are "cupped". A flat or forward-canted saddle will throw your weight onto the bars. Make sure the tops and brake hoods are angled up by abut 5 degrees. Raise the bars if necessary. And yes, use Specialized Body Geometry bar tape with gel pads underneath.

Can you post a pic of your bike, sideways-on, on here? People will be able to comment on your setup.

Mind you, there are really only two categories of people whose view on the op's fit should be taken seriously. 1, professional bike fitters, 2, the OP.

Citius

So far, his position is wrong and his core strength is weak - and these are both apparently contributing to an issue which only affects one hand.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ahh yes the wonderfull young bike fitters with their unbroken bodies..
lol OP mess with your bike fit untill it feels better..

i got a smaller frame and use a 70mm stem in the up position.and have my bars rolled back a bit too..
i get neck pain and numbness in my forearms and hands..i have a very strong back,,but my hands and wrists have spent many years using shovels concrete breakers picks and sledge hammers...i just get the most comfy postion i can.. as some bike fit vids say "it should be like this" but comfort is better...

go play and maybe the surgery thought can be dissmised?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
So far, his position is wrong and his core strength is weak - and these are both apparently contributing to an issue which only affects one hand.

I suffered from cyclist palsy for a while - it only occurred in one hand/arm - incidentally my 'mouse' hand. I assume that my life at a computer was enough to bring out pain in just hand/arm. I got relief from a flipped stem and a double tape warp. It all got finally resolved after a back operation and recovery.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mind you, there are really only two categories of people whose view on the op's fit should be taken seriously. 1, professional bike fitters, 2, the OP.

Well I disagree - there are lots of experienced cyclists on here and an experienced eye can tell a lot by just looking at a bike or better, the rider on the bike.

ayceejay

Guru
If you 'ride on the hoods' with the fleshy bit between your thumb and forefinger jammed in the front where the rubber rises and this is taking any weight you will have a problem. Try to rest the weight further towards the fat bit on the other side of your hand and don't cock your wrist. This is in addition to the advice about correct fit. For temporary relief hold your hand higher than your heart and make a fist once or twice.
Try to avoid surgery on your hand as the success rate is not 100%.

OP
OP
T

Toptec

Thanks for your advice so far much appreciated, as requested a shot of the bike.
thumb_P1040877_1024.jpg

Atb

Top Bottom