Numpty pedestrians - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Nipped into the city on my Brommy on Crimbo Eve. The road I took was logjammed for about 150 metres leading up to a set of traffic lights. I was the only thing moving. However, part way down said road is a Pelican crossing at which two pedestrians were patiently waiting for their light to go green. Despite, as I said no traffic was moving due to the red light ahead and there was virtually nothing coming in t'other direction, they stood and waited - ! :whistle:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Years of conditioning to believe that the motorist has priority

winjim

Smash the cistern
I will sometimes do that if I'm tired or distracted or my brain otherwise lacks sufficient processing power to want to look out for dickhead motorists not watching where they're going. Sometimes I even put my finger round the blind man's knob if I don't want to have to look for the green signal.

Sharky

Guru
Don't be too quick to judge. If I was with my daughter who is autistic and has no road sense, I too would wait for the green.
Could be many reasons. As said above, could be from another country. My other daughter spent a uni year in Germany and her friends there would do the same, even at 2am in the morning with no cars in sight.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Certainly does not happen in Oban. Many do even bother pushing the button and just wait for a gap. In summer you generally do have to get the green light or you could die of old age before getting over. Motorists coming off the ferry quite like it as it gives a gap in the traffic when joining the main street from the left.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Or maybe they weren't in a frantic hurry to get wherever they were going.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My other daughter spent a uni year in Germany and her friends there would do the same, even at 2am in the morning with no cars in sight.
That was my experience too in Germany and there is something in the back of my mind that similar happens in Japan.
My stepdaughter was shouted at by a group of angry Germans for doing that in one German city! She said that there were no cars anywhere, but they told her that it was strictly against the rules, and the rules MUST be obeyed! :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
My stepdaughter was shouted at by a group of angry Germans for doing that in one German city! She said that there were no cars anywhere, but they told her that it was strictly against the rules, and the rules MUST be obeyed! :laugh:
In a previous job when I worked in a city centre office, I came out of work one even and a German couple stopped me and asked for directions to a hotel they had booked. It was about five minutes walk away and as I was going to be walking past it anyway I said that I would show them.

We were talking as we walked down the street and then I suddenly realised that they weren't alongside me anymore. I looked over my shoulder and saw them dutifully waiting at the traffic lights for the green man whereas I was halfway across the road.

As there hadn't been a single moving vehicle to be seen anywhere I had just walked across the road without pressing the button and waiting but clearly they wanted to follow procedure. I went back and waited with them!

Top Bottom