Nutrition after exercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidg

Bill Gates said:
A mix of protein and carbs. Can anyone tell me what you would normally eat or drink for a snack or meal (apart from junk food) which isn't a mix of protein and carbs?

an apple?!

Bill Gates

Bill Gates said:
A mix of protein and carbs. Can anyone tell me what you would normally eat or drink for a snack or meal (apart from junk food) which isn't a mix of protein and carbs? IOW the only consideration is low or high GI for the carbs. Before during and after training then moderate to high GI carbs are supposed to be the best choice.

davidg said:
an apple?!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_protein_does_an_apple_contain

dr.richtofen

Hi guys I don't really know what your thoughts are on supplements but after I do my exercising, at least 45 mins, I take a recovery drink. The one I take is from PhD nutrition and has a 2:1 ratio of carbs to protein. If I can find the research docs I will post the evidence for it, got me dinner, but I would recommend it. A) It tastes great, ;) It is backed by scientific research, C) It's the only post exercise drink I can take without feeling sick. Peace

Bill Gates

davidg said:
come on wikianswers as a source? wiki is bad enough but that!

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1809/2

fairly negligible (even if we take wiki at <1%) and certainly not the amount of protein you would probably want after exercising....

Of course but then in suggesting an apple in the first place you were trying to be a clever ar*e in discrediting my assertion that snacks and meals by their nature include a mix of protein and carbohydrate. I'm being a clever ar*e back because almost all foods contain a trace of one or the other, which means that my assertion is factually correct.

What I was getting at was that without going to any special lengths a proper snack or meal that most people would consume as some sort of sustenance during the day, especially in view of training, would have a mix of protein and carbohydrate e.g. a ham sandwich. IMO an apple doesn't fit that level of sustenance.

davidg

you do like projecting onto my replies...

when I answered an apple, you can include most fruit and veg for that matter. It's only really a "clever" answer, if you regard the question as "clever".

Loads of people would eat fruit after exercise, where if they are really smashing their muscles they will need more protein at some stage and I would argue that needs to be sooner after exercise than having a couple of pieces of fruit then and a couple of slices of toast (eg a decent commute and having breakfast). The body is particular sensitive (in a good way) to carbs (especially) and protein shortly after exercise, so why not intake them then rather than later?

Whether/when someone is eating enough protein when they are exercising is an important question (and the topic of thread). A lot of people would not be eating enough of the right types of food for that amount of exercise.

The fact is that we almost certainly agree with each other on the general principles but I think you should take more care in what you eat after a decent work out and that would involve having food that has reasonable amounts of protein in soon after.

Bill Gates

davidg said:
you do like projecting onto my replies...

No not just yours. I post a response whenever there is a point to be made or some misinformation to correct. If you feel that I'm singling you out I can assure you that it isn't the case. It must be that I think you're often wrong

davidg said:
when I answered an apple, you can include most fruit and veg for that matter. It's only really a "clever" answer, if you regard the question as "clever".

Not so. My question was rhetorical to make the point that although all meals and most snacks are a combination of protein and carbohydrate; in order to fulfill the purpose of recovery, the carbs should be high to moderate GI to best replenish glycogen after exercise. Your response of an apple completely missed the point, hence my "clever" jibe. Anyway an apple is low GI so not ideal.

davidg said:
Loads of people would eat fruit after exercise, where if they are really smashing their muscles they will need more protein at some stage and I would argue that needs to be sooner after exercise than having a couple of pieces of fruit then and a couple of slices of toast (eg a decent commute and having breakfast). The body is particular sensitive (in a good way) to carbs (especially) and protein shortly after exercise, so why not intake them then rather than later?

Whether/when someone is eating enough protein when they are exercising is an important question (and the topic of thread). A lot of people would not be eating enough of the right types of food for that amount of exercise.

The fact is that we almost certainly agree with each other on the general principles but I think you should take more care in what you eat after a decent work out and that would involve having food that has reasonable amounts of protein in soon after.

Agree with all that. You're not that dumb after all. :smile:

Top Bottom