Nutrition after exercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinS

Hi all. First post

My cycling consist of 30-40 miles at a weekend, 17 miles round trip to work once/twice a week and a couple of spin classes a week.

More often than not, sessions are at a relativly high intensity. It's also hilly round here

Other than staying hydrated, I don't take much notice of the need to take on protien afterwards to repair damage.

Do I do enough to need to take extra protien after I've finished

thanks, martin

lukesdad

Yep !

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Milkshake or choco-milk will be the best post ride recovery product, cheap available and very effective. Consume within 30 mins of finishing the ride.
Nesquick for me!

jimboalee

A nice piece of meat, chicken or fish.

My favourite is pan-fried chicken breast in chilli infused olive oil with a sprinkling of coarse ground black pepper, red chilli and ground ginger.
I don't eat carbohydrates after exercise, only a limited ( dependent on the duration of the ride ) amount before.

Another idea is a pair of Salmon steaks ( from Tesco, 2 packs for a fiver ) quick broiled with a knob of butter, finished with a tight egg mayonnaise ball sitting on top.

Most common 'apre velo' is pan fried Steak mince in pepper, ginger and cumin. Lay it on a base of heated tomato pesto, cover with grated Mozzarella and slam under the grill until cheese is browned and crisp. Pizza without the useless stodge.

And don't forget the SALT...

If you eat well I don't think any supplements are necessary although some people advise taking on protein within 20 mins of a hard session. If I'm not having a meal anytime soon I just make up a smoothie based on Maltodextrin and Protein although if you Google the subject you will find lots of other suggestions.

A useful source of info(as recommended by other members) is this site

http://www.jibbering.com/sports/drinks.html

which links to MyProtein (with 5% discount) which offer a good service at very reasonable prices.

mr Mag00

rising member
you need salt if you dont eat processed foods.
i sweat litres and add salt to my food to avoid cramp and it works. it is sea salt, which has trace elements, not chemical table salt muck.

shippers

Bradford is indeed hilly!

I get a recovery powder thing from Asda- Rego Recovery, or similar. It's a mix with water one so good for when I get into work.
My problem was that I was eating at 6.15, cycling 13 miles then not eating again until after 1. I got quite a bad custard cream habit, and that's not ideal!

Does anyone else fancy going to jimboalee's house for tea?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
mr Mag00 said:
you need salt if you dont eat processed foods.
i sweat litres and add salt to my food to avoid cramp and it works. it is sea salt, which has trace elements, not chemical table salt muck.

TBH, the difference in nutritional terms between sea salt and regular refined salt is absolutely bugger-all of any value whatsoever. Like Brown sugar versus white sugar. It's great marketing, but that's all really. Enjoy.

Some form of sweatened milk really really is best.

Bill Gates

A mix of protein and carbs. Can anyone tell me what you would normally eat or drink for a snack or meal (apart from junk food) which isn't a mix of protein and carbs? IOW the only consideration is low or high GI for the carbs. Before during and after training then moderate to high GI carbs are supposed to be the best choice.

jimboalee

Bill Gates said:
A mix of protein and carbs. Can anyone tell me what you would normally eat or drink for a snack or meal (apart from junk food) which isn't a mix of protein and carbs? IOW the only consideration is low or high GI for the carbs. Before during and after training then moderate to high GI carbs are supposed to be the best choice.

Butter.

jimboalee

If you get enough CHO to satisfy the exercise and your BMR; BEFORE and during the exercise, you won't need any more afterwards.

You wouldn't go driving off in your car on an empty tank with the intention of filling it when the journey is over. Or stopping at filling stations putting a little bit of gas in every 10 miles.

Same with your body.

Fill your tanks before the ride, and top up during. If you've got it right, you will only need the 'repair proteins' to assist recovery and/or hypertrophy.

The slimmest of humans have enough spare CHO in their bodies to survive until the next day's breakfast, if they are not exercising the next day.

Dan B

Disengaged member
jimboalee said:
The slimmest of humans have enough spare CHO in their bodies to survive until the next day's breakfast, if they are not exercising the next day.
Hence the usual advice to eat carbs after exercise: it means you can train the next day

Top Bottom