Nutrition for a Century+

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe

Über Member
I did 110 miles today on half a malt loaf, a packet of fig rolls and a couple of bottles of High 5 energy source. Maybe not the healthiest but it kept me going better than many other things I've tried!

wafflycat

As others have said - eat & drink little & often. Drink before you're thirsty & eat before you're hungry.

This is what works for me:-
The night before a long ride, I'll have a pasta-based meal.
Breakfast on day of ride will be an extra-large bowl of porridge topped with fruit and *lots* to drink to ensure I'm fuelled and well-hydrated before the ride starts.

For the ride itself, find an isotonic drink you like & take more of it with you than you think you'll need. One tip is to keep a sachet of the isotonic powder so that if you stop for a bottle/glass of water somewhere, you can make up a bottle of isotonic. That way you'll keep replenishing the salt you lose and get some engery into you too. What works for me is a citrus flavour isotonic drink. I also find energy gels incredibly useful and absolutely adore these in raspberry flavour. I take a stack of gels with me on a long ride and take them regularly. I also like to have a supply of energy bars; current favourite are SiS bars in cherry & vanilla To vary I'll also use malt loaf, flapjack, dried banananananananananananana, dried apricots, Torq bars in raspberry & apple or dried bananananananana

At the end of the ride, have some protein as it aids recovery. There are special recovery drinks you can buy: this is the favourite of my offspring - chocolate flavour

Hope this helps.

wafflycat

Yup - saddlebag or rackpag. Rear pockets on jersey stuffed... Two bottle cages on the bike, use 750ml bottles... refill at any available opportunity. Eat & drink little & often: it works

mr Mag00

rising member
My strategy is to carry both an Energy Drink...like SIS or home-made from honey/fruit juice and water...I alternate swigs from each as I go.

fab foodie do you have a recipe and technique? i like the sound of your homemade energy drink.

Noodley

I shall be trying out honey on Sunday, I'll be putting some in a small "travel" bottle (the kind of bottle used for shampoo and stuff - it's fresh! :biggrin:) and keeping it in my back pocket - should keep me going.

mr Mag00

rising member
i use honey in my porridge pre ride and some flapjacks, but i like the idea of being able to use it during a ride, hence the drink, i will experiment. I guess need to warm up water to dissolve honey and then add fruit juice

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
mr Mag00 said:
fab foodie do you have a recipe and technique? i like the sound of your homemade energy drink.

Hi
Nothing special I'm afraid...750 ml bottle
Fruit Juice of choice (sometimes a tad diluted with water...experiment to taste), pineapple's quite nice
Large Teaspoon of honey
Pinch of salt.

As I go along I aim to drink around twice as much plain water as the juice drink.
Bit "knock-together", but works just fine.

Others add Dioralyte rehydration powder to a Fruit Juice/water blend to aid hydration. Pure water is OK,but for max benefit you need some sugar and salt to aid water uptake. Maltodextrin based drinks are also OK, but can lead to indigestion, wind and the squits if susceptible! Home made juices seem a bit gentler.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
robjs said:
Hi,

After about 50 miles I bought a sandwich (as I didn't feel I could eat much more), but then around mile 70 I started cramping in both my legs hard. After struggling uphill, I bought some high calorie stuff (Lucozade, energy tablets and a mars bar), which got me feeling much better.

Rob

I had exactly the same thing when I did my first 200 km ride, cramping up somewhere around the 130 km mark (apologies for not knowing what these distances are in English). Fortunately I ground to a halt outside an Italian restaurant and, convinced I was going no further, had a plate of pasta with mixed seafood sauce and about two pints of water. Within 40 mins I was fine and was able to complete the ride.

I appreciate that restaurant stops might not be the thing for serious roadies but for tourists they can be very useful.

Top Bottom