Nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ross c

Hi all,

I bought a £300 triban 3 road bike from decathlon at the end of May/beginning of June and trained for a 50 mile race in Galasheils at the beginning of July. I was cycling a 25 mile route 3-4 times a week and nearer the race was managing to do it in about 1 hour 20 to 1 hour 30 depending on conditions etc.

However when it came to the race (called the Braw Lads Baw Breaker- and for good reason too!) I found that by about 30-35 miles in I was absolutely knackered. The hill in it is used for the Scottish hill climb championship or something like that and I ended up, rather embarrasingly, having to push my bike up part of it. After that hill I more or less had to cycle the rest of the race in the easiest gear!

There was a feed station about 25 miles in but i didn't stop partly because so many people had overtaken me and I thought I better make up time (save an embarrasingly slow time) and also because I was only doing the 50 mile round as opposed to the 100 mile route.

Last night I did a dummy run to my work which is a 30 mile round trip as I am going to start cycling to work 3 days a week when i go back. I made it down there in an hour, but took an hour and 20 to get back.

I've looked on some websites and it seems that a lot of people take these 'tri carb' drink things which helps them maintain their energy levels during cycles.

What are other people's thoughts on these. Are they worth the money or will a banana do the same job? Also, do you need to take food on board when cycling over 25 miles in one sitting or is it just that my body/stamina will take time to adjust to longer rides?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ross

Pauluk

First, well done Ross. :thumbsup: Any attempt is infinitely better than no attempt.

Your training seems like it wasn't racing (trying to keep up with somebody else's pace) and it was only half the distance of your race. If this was the case then perhaps your performance shouldn't be too unexpected.

I'm no expert but I would have thought your nutrition intake should have been better planned and you probably should have stopped at the feed station.

Hope your not too disappointed for long as you are almost certain to improve as you get more experience if that's what you intend.

lulubel

Über Member
I would eat if I was riding 50 miles, although I know there are plenty of people who wouldn't.

Basically, if I'm expecting to be on the bike longer than 2 hours, I start taking in food (and for me this is proper food, not gels or sport drinks) after 1 hour. If I was racing, so wanted to keep pushing on for the whole 50 miles, I'd probably mix fruit juice with my water to give me a constant energy boost, but I'd still nibble on flapjack or something similar rather than using any sports products.

It does sound like your preparation wasn't all that great. If you're actually racing (as opposed to doing a sportive, where you can just take as long over it as you need to) I would have though making sure you've covered the full distance a few times in training and got your nutrition sorted out would be quite important.

OP
OP
R

Ross c

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. I think I have got my terms mixed up. It was a sportive rather than a race, although I was trying to do it as fast as I could. For some reason it had never occured to me to eat while cycling; I'm new to it and suppose viewed eating while cycling like eating while playing football.

I'll definately take a banana and a flap jack when I go out tomorrow with some fruit juice in my water.

Many thanks for the help :smile:

Nebulous

Guru
Generally the advice is to up your distance first, and then add in speed later. You would probably have been better mixing up your training with some longer slower runs, then adding in some shorter faster ones.

Many people on here don't believe in sports drinks and use fig rolls, flapjacks etc. I use high 5, 4:1 drink and buy a big tub for about £23 which lasts me a couple of months.

OP
OP
R

Ross c

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies and advice. I was at my local bike shop today and chatted to them about nutrition and they were saying the same thing: basically it is personal preference but you've got to take on board something. Think I'll buy some of the stuff that goes in water and see if i like it, also seen a bike i'm going back to buy on Monday http://www.cyclelane.co.uk/products.php?show=5569/ZOOM8393 a felt f75. Seems to have good reviews and the blokes in the bike shop reckoned it was up there with the best of the non-carbon frame bikes.

Once I feel better with the 30 mile ride I'll increase it by 5 miles each week until I hit 50 then start working on speed.

Many thanks for all the help :smile:

OP
OP
R

Ross c

No, cyclelane in East Kilbride Scotland.

Berties

Fast and careful!
nutrition and hydration is a individual need,and as you step up distance/expelled energy you are required to fuel your body,some who fuel before with a slow release breakfast, then top up with lets say jelly babies and gels will indulge every 30 mins can ride 70 miles ,every one is different and only personnel experience of trial and error,will get it right,
I ride 15 miles one way to work and 25 miles home but has no reflection of how much fuel you need for a 40 mile straight ride,
Gels etc are ok not loved by all as they are pretty nasty,imo,but I have used them,but you need to experiment with them again they are not quick fix,and do take time to fuel you up

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I did my first fifty miles in a while this morning (having completed over 100 miles spread out over the last week) and fuelled myself on two boiled eggs, one energy powder shake thing and four gels. I was given about forty gel packs by a sponsored athlete and I'm sure I'll feel differently about them when I have to start paying for them!

Gels suit me because if I have anything more than a couple of eggs before a ride where I'm pushing myself moderately hard I feel very bad in my belly indeed. Horrid.

OP
OP
R

Ross c

Thanks for the replies. I did my usual 25 mile route last night and put 1 quarter fresh oj in my water bottle and noticed a difference with my energy levels during the climbs at the end of the route. I was at the bike shop today purchasing a felt f75, now just waiting to get it delivered to the shop and built. When I go back and pick it up I'll buy a wee selection of the different bars, gels and drinks and see what works best.

Many thanks for all the advice :smile:

Top Bottom