Nutrition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Who eats and drinks what when on a ride?
If you want to be able to train (in whatever form) day-after-day then my theory is why allow your glycogen to deplete if you can prevent it, so even on a 1 hour cycle I will eat a protein type bar (cheap from Aldi) in 2 halves at 20 and 40 minutes.
For longer rides in the past I used to make an 8% glucose solution up.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Up to two hours, nothing unless it's a hot day when I'll carry a 500ml bottle of water. Over two hours a cafe stop, sausage sandwich or a wedge of cake and a mug of tea plus my water bottle.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Up to 2hrs usually just water unless it's really warm then I'll stick a high5 electrolyte tab in, beyond that a stop for some sort of food and coffee is planned - if not then Jelly Babies are immense per x1 and sometimes I will split coke/water 50/50 in my bottle

Bianchi boy

Über Member
On a couple of occasions recently I`ve tried the "fasted cardio" approach, that is, not consuming any food before a ride, typically that would be a 4-5 hour outing , then consume Protein after the ride , it works for me, :okay:

boydj

Legendary Member
Who eats and drinks what when on a ride?
If you want to be able to train (in whatever form) day-after-day then my theory is why allow your glycogen to deplete if you can prevent it, so even on a 1 hour cycle I will eat a protein type bar (cheap from Aldi) in 2 halves at 20 and 40 minutes.
For longer rides in the past I used to make an 8% glucose solution up.

You are not going to deplete your glycogen in an hour of cycling. A cake and a coffee on return will more than top it up again. Running a marathon at a good pace will deplete your glycogen in about 2 hours - and that's a lot harder than 2 hours cycling, unless you are pushing really hard. An energy bar won't get aywhere near your system in an hour and glucose may well cause a sugar spike and an insulin response, giving the opposite effect to what you want.

Back in the day, when I was a club runner, there were loads of articles about fuelling for your training and I read lots of them. I've run many half-marathons without even drinking, and done marathons without eating during the race and without 'hitting the wall'.

For cycling you are better off eating real food and drinking straight water. Keep the energy bars for longer rides and the glucose for emergencies. I've 'bonked' once towards the end of a long day many years ago. For rides up to 2 hours, I'll seldom eat and just drink water. For longer runs I'll take a banana and/or sandwiches, or have a cafe stop.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

You are not going to deplete your glycogen in an hour of cycling. A cake and a coffee on return will more than top it up again. Running a marathon at a good pace will deplete your glycogen in about 2 hours - and that's a lot harder than 2 hours cycling, unless you are pushing really hard. An energy bar won't get aywhere near your system in an hour and glucose may well cause a sugar spike and an insulin response, giving the opposite effect to what you want.

Back in the day, when I was a club runner, there were loads of articles about fuelling for your training and I read lots of them. I've run many half-marathons without even drinking, and done marathons without eating during the race and without 'hitting the wall'.

For cycling you are better off eating real food and drinking straight water. Keep the energy bars for longer rides and the glucose for emergencies. I've 'bonked' once towards the end of a long day many years ago. For rides up to 2 hours, I'll seldom eat and just drink water. For longer runs I'll take a banana and/or sandwiches, or have a cafe stop.
This is true if your glycogen stores are full at the start but if you have depleted glycogen before you start then my thought has always been don’t risk running out and eat anyway (maybe that’s why I’m 56 stone?!).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Riding 60 miles on 2 eggs for brekkie and 2 bottles one containing water and the other with a hydration tab and 2 dextrosol tabs.

Slick

Guru
Am I the only one who can't eat during a ride?

It certainly seems that way sometimes but on the day of a ride I'll eat very little and whilst some can wire in at the cafe stop, I can't as soon as I eat anything of any note, my body thinks it's done for the day.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Plain water mostly, though I do carry the small bottles of flavouring such as black currant or orange. Salt tablets if hot and taken once an hour.

I eat more than enough at normal meal times to not need to eat when cycling, unless out for several hours. When I do eat when out, real food, hot or cold depending on circumstances and distance / time out.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
What I think. What you do or don’t eat, what you do or don’t drink, and when or where you do either of those two things, is gonna make zilch to zero difference to your ride or the training benefit of your ride, unless you’re hammering away like a pro for several hours most days. I don’t take any notice of Cycling Weekly inspired rhubarb.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What I think. What you do or don’t eat, what you do or don’t drink, and when or where you do either of those two things, is gonna make zilch to zero difference to your ride or the training benefit of your ride, unless you’re hammering away like a pro for several hours most days. I don’t take any notice of Cycling Weekly inspired rhubarb.
You have obviously never bonked then! :whistle:

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Don’t agree but like a person who knows their own mind!

Top Bottom