nuts, bolts, and washers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm brand new at this, and have a question: I'm a 67 year old grandma, and recently purchased an adult tricycle just to ride around our subdivision. (retirement community) It came in a box, needing assembled; I found a gentleman who volunteered to assemble it for me. (I'm on LOW SS income, so couldn't hire anyone)
He worked all day on it, and finished it. Here's my concern: There is a whole bag of metal washers, different sizes, left. He didn't use any of them. The instruction manual shows where each bolt & nuts is supposed to have a washer. He said they aren't important. I Googled the question, and it seems that they ARE important. Can someone answer that for me? I don't want my bike (trike) ruined. Thank you!!

Drago

Legendary Member
I would be inclined to use the washers myself. They prevent damage to the fasteners, and to the contact surfaces by acting as an interface and spreading load.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The manufacturer didn't just supply the washers for the fun of it, they cost money and if they weren't needed they would have been omitted to make the bike cheaper. The clown who says they aren't important is an idiot who should stay well clear of anything mechanical. Take the fasteners out one at a time and refit them with the washer they should have had to begin with.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think we need to be careful not to unduly alarm the OP.

The trike will work perfectly safely and well without the washers, provided the fixings are nipped up.

About the worst consequence of not having the washers will be the fixings may loosen in a shorter time than they would otherwise have done.

It would be better to fit the washers as specified, but there's no reason why the trike cannot be used in the meantime.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Washers can contribute to a nut coming loose on something which vibrates, like a bicycle. Washers may have been supplied to fix a bolt in contact with paint or aluminium surfaces. If the bolt and nut is tight, the trike can be used as it is.

jay clock

Massive member
I would be inclined to agree a) that in the real world it probably doesn't matter but b) the guy is probably not to be trusted mechanically and get someone a little less slapdash have a quick look over it just to be sure.

Happy riding!

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If the trike is anything like mine then the nuts will be 'Nylock' type so won't come loose but the washers should have been fitted mainly to allow the nuts to be tightened without damaging the paint.

BTW this is what my Trike looked like before I started modifying it,

ktt-2065-500x500.jpg

This is what I changed it into

trike 001.JPG

Last edited:
I always wondered what those softish washers were for, now I don't feel so bad about leaving them off the BBQ I put together in the summer!

Top Bottom