O.T. Flying Model Planes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PrettyboyTim

It's pretty easy to make planes out of foam sheet nowadays. Battery technology is so good that you can make small, light electric aeroplanes.

A few years back I made a little biplane out of an A1 foam sheet (It was some kind of backing board with paper on it, but I soaked it and scrubbed the paper off)

The Aidley Flyer Mk. I

The nice thing about foam is that it can be very easily fixed in the field with some sellotape, which is great if you're rubbish at flying like me ;-)

I haven't done any flying for years now, although I have been tempted by the Carbon Falcon or Carbon Kestrel, which are flying wings made of ripstop nylon with a carbon fibre frame. The maneuver by warping the wings, and can fold down into a tube, much like a kite :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I thought tissue was quite old tech, but I definitely remember soaking it in water before doping it on. Funnily enough some of the older full-sized gliders at the sailplane club were also doped, but with cloth, LOL!

I used to be into R/C model flying in a big way, I did quite well in the Zim Nationals a few times, though that's not saying much as it was quite a small scene.

Top Bottom