1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O.T. Flying Model Planes.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Maggot, 23 Jan 2008.

1. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

I have just got myself a model glider to make during my time off. Does anyone make these? I have a vague recollection that years ago, in the Air Cadets, we glued the tissue covering on, now the suggestion is spray with water, how does that work?

2. ChrisKH

ChrisKH Shorts Adjustment Expert

When the water dries it stretches the tissue membrane so it's nice and taut. I would imagine.

3. Panter

Panter Just call me Chris...

Thats the way I used to do them :biggrin:

4. freakhatz

freakhatz New Member

5. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Yes, from what I remember of what Tom told me, the damp tissue shrinks as it dries, tightening. I think the dope stuff is mixed with the water?

You can also get a type of heat shrinking tissue these days, which you glue with PVA to the ribs etc, and then very gently heat (hairdrier, or holding an iron close) and that shrinks it. Tom used both, I think he said the heat stuff worked best over larger flatter areas, than the little fiddly bits... But less fumy and smelly than dope and water... Can't remember the name, but I must still have an old cataolgue knocking about at home, I'll look it up.

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Would that be solarfilm? Sort of shiny plasticy stuff ?

7. red_tom

red_tom New Member

My Dad has a scar on one of his fingers from trying to adjust the throttle on on of his model planes with the engine running. I rmember the propeller making a 'flymo hitting dog poo' kind of sound (:ohmy:xx()and then my dad swearing a lot

8. LLB

LLB Guest

I got a pair of micro 'duelling' Picoo2 indoor micro helicopters at christmas like the one in this vid except mine have an extra function where you can zap the other one with an IR beam which sends it spiraling to the ground :sad:

Great little toys ;)

9. llllllll

llllllll New Member

That's the stuff, though you can get matt finishes as well. I built a radio control plane a few years back and I used solarfilm, much easier than paper and dope. It's almost like sticky back plastic, you just stick it in place and run a hair dryer or non-steam iron over it.

10. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

It used to be dope years ago...but i dont remember mixing water with it !!!!!!
    Cant think that the two would mix....

11. Arch

Yup, that's the one.

Maggot, be very careful. This sort of thing (making model planes) can be as addictive as cycling... One look at a WestWings catalogue and you're hooked...

12. OP
    OP
    Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Bloody hell Arch, now you tell me!!! It's a WestWings glider I am building, having found their website. Oh well, hopefully it'll be a little cheaper than cycling, having said that maybe if I go radio-controlled.......:wacko:

13. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Sounds as if you're on the slippery slope already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Arch

I think the stuff is getting cheaper, proportionately - tiny motors and all the electronics and so on, which would have been unheard of a few years ago. Or just stick to rubber motors...

15. Arch