O/T: Windows Live Mail problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My daughter has discovered that since they changed Hotmail to Windows Live mail a few days back, she can no longer sign in to retrieve her emails (I'm wondering if it's because her email address uses underscores?). She's got emails sitting in cyberspace under her existing email address - stuff relating to her uni course that she needs to see.

Anyone have an idea of a way round this? She could create a new email address, but that won't retrieve the old emails. If she'd been using Outlook or Outlook Express, I'd have more ideas, but she was just signing in via MSN.

Hugo15

Über Member
I had a problem with Hotmail a few months ago. Sent a note to their helpdesk via the link below. They actually sorted it out.

https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=hotmail&ct=eformts

I have also had the issue where my Anti Virus software was set not to accept cookies from MSN. Must have typed in my e-mail address and password a hundred times before I worked out what was going on!!

pw2389

The underscore doesn't make any difference (or it doesn't in my case). Are you sure she has JavaScript enabled in her browser? The Hotmail site is poorly written in that it doesn't degrade gracefully if JavaScript is not enabled.

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Java is enabled. She's tried logging in from my machine too - no dice.

She can't get in to Hotmail - what was Hotmail is now Windows Live. It says on the Windows Live login page that she can use her Hotmail details to sign in , but it's not letting her. Everything worked fine under the old web Hotmail page!

jonesy

Guru
Sadly that's the sort of thing you can expect from Microsoft, which is why I use Yahoo mail and Gmail!:biggrin:

pw2389

beanzontoast said:
Java is enabled. She's tried logging in from my machine too - no dice.

She can't get in to Hotmail - what was Hotmail is now Windows Live. It says on the Windows Live login page that she can use her Hotmail details to sign in , but it's not letting her. Everything worked fine under the old web Hotmail page!

I assume you mean JavaScript and not Java (they're not the same thing). Anyhow, my Hotmail account has continued to work with the transition to Windows Live and my user name includes the underscore symbol, so not sure what the difficulty is. As an earlier poster stated you might have to get in touch with Hotmail to find out what's going on. Maybe the password's become frozen because of incorrect entry multiple times?

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Yes - meant JavaScript, sorry.

I think the helpdesk looks the most likely way forward now.

Honestly, why can't they just leave these things alone!? Like you, I've had no problems making the transition to Live either. Daughter's feeling really unlucky!

Top Bottom