Oakley Photochromic Lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
So I’ve not been out on my bike for 14 months until this morning and my Oakleys have sat in a drawer all that time. On this morning’s ride they steadfastly remained clear, how do I restore the phrochr capability?

vickster

Legendary Member
Apparently they don’t work so well in high temperatures, perhaps they’ve been impacted by high temps recently?
otherwise, ask an optician that sells them (Boots do I think). They may just be knackered I guess, are they older than 17 months. They don‘t have an infinite lifetime

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
Apparently they don’t work so well in high temperatures, perhaps they’ve been impacted by high temps recently?
otherwise, ask an optician that sells them (Boots do I think). They may just be knackered I guess, are they older than 17 months. They don‘t have an infinite lifetime

Temp shouldn’t have impacted them. The hall is the coolest place in the house, even the dog sleeps there.

I’d expect a few years out of them, they weren’t cheap

YellowV2

Veteran
They do wear out, typically the life span is about 3 years and they don't work as well in hotter temperatures. I have a pair which are 8 years old and they do still work, just about but not as well as when new.
Also as they wear out they take on a Yellowish hue when clear.

OP
OP
G

GetFatty

Über Member
They do wear out, typically the life span is about 3 years and they don't work as well in hotter temperatures. I have a pair which are 8 years old and they do still work, just about but not as well as when new.
Also as they wear out they take on a Yellowish hue when clear.

Hmmm. No hue on mine, they are completely clear. Will need further investigation I think

R. Panda

Mine are at OK in higher temps, but I found out they get really dark in cold, so they stay in the drawer during the winter.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
wandering off a bit, but I recently got some Transitions branded "faster /darker" photochromatic lenses (also varifocal prescription and they are absolute mustard. even on those bright rides with dappled shade under trees you still get vision, comes with really bright and I also rode back from the pub in the circa 9.15pm and they went suitably clear/ light.

No only got the one lens with them and it was always photochromic

I've got some third party photochromic lenses for my Oakleys. I'll have to check to see if they still work. I've had them for a good few years. I didn't know there was a shelf life.

Just draped the glasses bag over the lens and removed it. So 2/3 of the left side is light and 1/3 is darker. Still working. Need a clean though.

Attachments

• IMG_20220822_102224.jpg
    IMG_20220822_102224.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom