Oatesy !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
They don't call him Quaker Oates for nothing? :wacko::biggrin::biggrin:

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm quite a way from the earthquake and in fact didn't feel anything, but it's a real disaster and some of the TV films showing Mothers find their dead children is most upsetting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aint Skeered

Keith Oates said:
I'm quite a way from the earthquake and in fact didn't feel anything, but it's a real disaster and some of the TV films showing Mothers find their dead children is most upsetting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw that scene on the news last night, absolutly shocking. can't begin to imagine what those people are going through at the momment.
At least the powers that be where quick to react

Maz

Guru
Sorry about the joke, Keith - could easily have been misconstrued as bad taste. I certainly wouldn't want to offend you...if anyone on this forum has an exemplary pleasant attitude, it's you.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Im still wondering why humanity is knocking 'ten cans' out of each other when these kind of things seem to make those things seem rediculous !

Logic over emotion can be a very good thing sometimes !

Arch

Married to Night Train
yenrod said:
Im still wondering why humanity is knocking 'ten cans' out of each other when these kind of things seem to make those things seem rediculous !

Logic over emotion can be a very good thing sometimes !

Well, I guess since we can't do anything about earthquakes and cyclones and the like, (unless you count engineering quake proof buildings and so on) I suppose it doesn't matter much whether we knock 'ten cans' out of each other or not, this stuff will still happen. Humankind ain't all that good at looking at the future and seeing clearly - 'petty' problems now tend to matter more than serious ones some time off in the possible future..

The thing that has struck me is that of course for so many (if not all) of these parents, that is their only child they've lost in a collapsed school. Almost whole generations in some areas I guess.

At least in China the authorities seem to be trying to help. In the depths of the World Service last night I heard a suggestion that the authorities in Burma might be quite pleased to have had all these pesky poor folk cleared off the Irrawaddy delta, to clear it for more effective agriculture. Whether that's true or not, just leaving them to starve and die of cholera etc, that's truely evil.

Mac66

I'm no politician and possibly over cynical, but my thought on Burma was that the junta wouldn't be too upset at lossing a large slice of their population, to make their control easier.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Arch said:
Well, I guess since we can't do anything about earthquakes and cyclones and the like, (unless you count engineering quake proof buildings and so on) I suppose it doesn't matter much whether we knock 'ten cans' out of each other or not, this stuff will still happen. Humankind ain't all that good at looking at the future and seeing clearly - 'petty' problems now tend to matter more than serious ones some time off in the possible future..

The thing that has struck me is that of course for so many (if not all) of these parents, that is their only child they've lost in a collapsed school. Almost whole generations in some areas I guess.

At least in China the authorities seem to be trying to help. In the depths of the World Service last night I heard a suggestion that the authorities in Burma might be quite pleased to have had all these pesky poor folk cleared off the Irrawaddy delta, to clear it for more effective agriculture. Whether that's true or not, just leaving them to starve and die of cholera etc, that's truely evil.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes Arch: and it could be a whoile lot worse and who would actually care ie who actually cared enough for America to basically slaughter more than where killed in the biggest set-up by the CIA/US Gov. ;)

Democracy sucks in our western world whereby you're simply a no. till you die and in between you buzz off what you gives you the maximum of pleasure though if you take drugs you can be put away :biggrin: dont make sense does it.. i'll just laugh and be as ****ed up as the rest of the pop. of the world.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Um... I don't think the ills of Western democracy (of which there are plenty, I agree) apply in Burma, and on the other hand I think there are a lots of very good western democratic countries - most of Scandinavia seems pretty good for example. I don't understand your point about America and the CIA - I suspect you mean something specific and I simply don't know what?

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Arch said:
Um... I don't think the ills of Western democracy (of which there are plenty, I agree) apply in Burma, and on the other hand I think there are a lots of very good western democratic countries - most of Scandinavia seems pretty good for example. I don't understand your point about America and the CIA - I suspect you mean something specific and I simply don't know what?

'Oh yes Arch: and it could be a whoile lot worse and who would actually care ie who actually cared enough for America to basically slaughter more than where killed in the biggest set-up by the CIA/US Gov'

Forgot to put in the ref to 9/11 ! ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
yenrod said:
'Oh yes Arch: and it could be a whoile lot worse and who would actually care ie who actually cared enough for America to basically slaughter more than where killed in the biggest set-up by the CIA/US Gov'

Forgot to put in the ref to 9/11 ! ;)

Er... Ok...

Still not quite sure where you're coming from, but... I think 3000 or so is a pretty small number of folk (all very lovely people I'm sure) compared to the 150,000-200,000 they're talking about in Burma.

Keith Oates

Janner
Maz said:
Sorry about the joke, Keith - could easily have been misconstrued as bad taste. I certainly wouldn't want to offend you...if anyone on this forum has an exemplary pleasant attitude, it's you.

I took it on face value Maz, and found it to be very amusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom